Discuss average price now for 1 kwh in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wiggly

guys,
What is the average on domestic purchase of electricity per kwh (thinking about 16p) after all the recent price increases. Im playing around with spread sheets at moment and would love a gut feel, dont have a recent home bill to hand.

Thanks
for the help

Wiggly

I looked a few weeks ago after the announcements of price increases.

Prices post-increase, that I noted, were:

Scottish Power: 12.4p per kWh
British Gas: 12.6 per kWh
Southern Electric: 12.7p per kWh

Not much difference really. Daily standing charge 20-odd pence being extra on top.

Economy7 "day" rates were typically a penny either side of 15p and about half that in the early hours on the cheap rate.

Rates do vary in different parts of the country. I'm in Cambridgeshire.

FB
if you take the 20p standing charge figure tho add it together total bill then divide it by your consumption you get the real figure and not the sneaky figure.
Which pushes the pence per watt up.
As said looking for a good average so canvassing all you guys cheers
wiggly

Clear & Simple rates

Our Prices

Currently showing, for my area:

British Gas: 12.566p per kWh and 16.99p per day standing charge.

Southern Electric: 12.73p per kWh and 16.45p per day standing charge.

So British Gas charge a little less per kWh but a little more on the standing charge.
Overall, though, there's very little in it between those two.

FB
if you take the 20p standing charge figure tho add it together total bill then divide it by your consumption you get the real figure and not the sneaky figure.
Which pushes the pence per watt up.
As said looking for a good average so canvassing all you guys cheers
wiggly

Yes, but since I cannot disconnect from the grid, I will always have to pay the standing charge and solar panels can never have an impact on that.
My bill savings will only be related to the reduced use of electricity.

Thanks ian-ls
From said website.
1. Electricity:
Based on an average of the 6 major electricity suppliers’ online prepayment, credit and direct debit tariffs, including standing charges and VAT, but not Economy 7. Taken from consumer focus.

This is showing 15.53p interesting figures as it is now that is more than fit

Let's say, for example, that I had been using 3000kWh of electricity per year, at 12.6p per kWh and 17p per day standing charge.

3000kWh x 12.6p = £378 for power used.
365days x 17p = £62 for the standing charge regardless of how much power I use.
Total annual cost: £440
Cost per kWh: 14.66p.

Suppose I manage to cut my power usage by half due to solar panels.
1500kWh x 12.6p = £189 for power used.
365days x 17p = £62 standing charge.
Total annual cost: £251
Cost per kWh: 16.73p

So despite the solar allowing me to reduce my electricty consumption by 50%, my bill has only dropped by 43% due to the fixed standing charge.

What's more, the solar has actually pushed up my cost per kWh from 14.66p to 16.73p.

In summary: solar cannot reduce the standing charge; it can only reduce the amount of power consumed.

It is therefore misleading sales tactics - "mis-selling" to include it in how much someone could save.

In practice, most customers won't notice, the actual amount will differ due to weather-related variation in generation, the SAP is likely to be substantially outperformed (by 10% in most cases) and the overall effect will be relatively minor.

All true FB what im trying to work out is were we are on PV and fits plus electrcity savings, We all know its a no brainer, Without fits payback rough figures at moment assuming start at 15.53p and 50/50 split no fit and no export and electricity inflation around 6% payback in 18 years.( 4kw south face etc sytem to consumer around 6500)
Now it really isnt far away to being a must home improvement Add fits in and export tarrif , the problem is getting the cosumer to belive and see its Still worth doing.

Solar PV is a must as i see it
wiggly

Very interesting and valid point i hadnt thought off FB,

So therefore the question for a client is what if amongst the Huge variety off tariffs out there is ther one that literally is pay and go.
Or do they all have some sort of standing Charge (another uk rip off)
wiggly

And, of course, gas isn't as cheap as it's made out to be, either:

BG have 24.439p per day standing charge, and 4.326p per kWh of gas used.

So if I use 12000kWh of gas per year:

12000kWh x 4.326p = £519
365days x 24.439p = £89
Total annual bill: £608
Effective cost per kWh: 5.1p

Very interesting and valid point i hadnt thought off FB,

So therefore the question for a client is what if amongst the Huge variety off tariffs out there is ther one that literally is pay and go.
Or do they all have some sort of standing Charge (another uk rip off)
wiggly

I use very little gas in summer - especially now I have 3.75kWp solar which provides a lot of the hot water, but we have never been great gas users in summer.

I have a "no standing charge" gas option where I pay 8p per kWh for the first 670kWh of gas per quarter, and the rest is at the normal rate of 4.5p.

In practice, the difference isn't much whatever supplier or tariff, as they make back the "no standing charge" by charging me more for the first 670kWh per quarter.

I prefer to stick with the no standing charge for gas option now, though, as the solar electricity can be used instead of gas, so having no standing charge should prove to be very useful in time. I have found that I can often run one or two small 400-500W electric conservatory heaters instead of running the central heating in early autumn or spring - it's a bit of a waste to fire-up the old 20kW Potterton gas boiler just to heat the lounge by a degree or two.
People can use an Immersun or similar device, in order to make good use of the solar power

The no standing charge options for electricty are eye-watering, though; 20-odd pence per kWh for the first tier, then normal prices for the second. I'd be scared to switch on a lightbulb until I'd gone into the threshold of the cheaper tier.

FB
but as you pointed out

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...15-average-price-now-1-kwh.html#ixzz2Cm6sal3f
Your effectivley paying 16.73 p with your solar install, With the news today of the goverment once again faffing about with things they have stated that everyone will go onto the cheapest option it will be curious how this also pans out making PV more suitable again.
wiggly

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...15-average-price-now-1-kwh.html#ixzz2Cm6sal3f

, With the news today of the goverment once again faffing about with things they have stated that everyone will go onto the cheapest option it will be curious how this also pans out making PV more suitable again.

I can see this automatic switching playing into the hands of the energy companies.

I use little in summer - so they'll switch me onto a low-user-optimised tariff (say no standing charge but high unit rate).

Then in winter I use much more gas/electric and pay a fortune at high-unit-rate prices.

The company then moves me to a high-user tariff (say high standing charge but low unit prices).

Then in summer I use very little, but pay an unnecessarily large standing charge and can't benefit from the cheap unit prices as I don't need it.

So then they switch me again back to the low-user rate, just in time for winter.

I can see me being flip-flopped from one bad rate to another. I'll always be on precisely the wrong tariff because they'll be looking at what has been, and not what will be my usage.

I expect to see a huge increase in my bill as a result of being automatically switched onto what was the right tariff for the season just gone, but not the right tariff for the season coming up. I'd rather make my own choices.

On the plus side, I still hold some shares in some of the big leccy and gas companies, so I'll at least stand to gain from what looks like a profits bonanza.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are some suppliers who've done away with the standing charge entirely and rolled it into a unit price for the electricity, with all units charged the same. I think this is the only situation where the 14-15p per kWh figure for energy savings is accurate.

Personally I think the government should force all energy companies to charge in this way if they want to simplify things (economy 7 / 10 could still work as well), as it's probably the most effective method of encouraging / rewarding people for saving energy without it actually costing anybody anything extra.

Reply to average price now for 1 kwh in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net