Discuss Back box depth for LAP flat plate light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Following great advice on here about wiring my ceiling light I've now moved onto replacing the plastic light switches. Does anyone know if a 16mm back box will be OK to accommodate this switch?

https://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-1-...VCLftCh1PyAl0EAQYBCABEgKPvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On the reviews I can find information about it fitting a 25mm box but that's all I can find. My current box is mounted on a joist so it would be a clart on to remove it and chisel out to required depth for a 25mm box.

If this won't fit does anyone have any recommendations as I'm looking for this type of finish but with the actual switch made of metal and not plastic (by order of the wife!!!) It doesn't have to be flush mount either.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I try and avoid flat face accessories. Unless the wall is perfectly smooth and flat they can end up looking awful.

If you want a brushed steel effect you can't go far wrong (IMHO) with the BG Nexus range.

OK so Screwfix has them and they are cheaper which is great but the LAP one has an anti-fingerprint lacquer which was a real selling point. Is this just sales bumph as the BG one has no mention of this.
From an earth point of view I just wanted to check something. My current switch is plastic so the face plate is not earthed and the earth wire from the circuit is connected to the metal back box. Am I correct in thinking I will need to disconnect this earth and connect this one from the circuit into the new faceplate and then run a new length of earth from faceplate into the back box?

Last edited:
A metal light switch must be earthed, yes. This should not just be connected but verified that the earth has continuity to the main earth.

The similarity in the look of BG nexus and LAP have me thinking they are produced by the same manufacturer to be honest.

A metal light switch must be earthed, yes. This should not just be connected but verified that the earth has continuity to the main earth.

The similarity in the look of BG nexus and LAP have me thinking they are produced by the same manufacturer to be honest.
OK cheers. I am very conscious about safety so just wanted to check about the earth. Should the earth wire from the lighting circuit wire into the back of the faceplate or leave it as it is now (connected to metal back box) and run a new length from faceplate to backbox?

OK cheers. I am very conscious about safety so just wanted to check about the earth. Should the earth wire from the lighting circuit wire into the back of the faceplate or leave it as it is now (connected to metal back box) and run a new length from faceplate to backbox?

I tend to connect the CPC (earth) to the faceplate as that's where it's needed most. If the back box has at least one fixed lug that the plate screws to the official guidance says it's not necessary to earth the backbox but it is good practice to run a flylead from the backbox to the faceplate earthing terminal, avoids any potential issues with oxidation causing a bad connection.

I tend to connect the CPC (earth) to the faceplate as that's where it's needed most. If the back box has at least one fixed lug that the plate screws to the official guidance says it's not necessary to earth the backbox but it is good practice to run a flylead from the backbox to the faceplate earthing terminal, avoids any potential issues with oxidation causing a bad connection.
Great thanks!! One more quickie. I've noticed when I've recently converted single sockets to doubles that the earth wires tend to be "doubled over" in the terminal. I know this is different to the lighting circuit but wondered whether doubling over is best practice?

It depends how many conductors are in the terminal. For one or two I tend to double them over as it give the screw a bit more to bite on. You may struggle if there are more though.

Just a thought, if at some point the wife wants the switch to be a dimmer a 16mm backbox will probably be too shallow - easier to make it deeper now rather than again later.

Reply to Back box depth for LAP flat plate light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock