Discuss Ensuring compliance with 543.2.6 (iii) when using heating pipe to bond gas main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Interested in opinions on this. Need to put the boiler (in my own house) in a temporary location for 6 months while an extension is built, when it will go in the extension. Running a dedicated 10mm to the temporary location will be a pita, and entirely unnecessary since I already have what, around 100mm CSA in the form of 2 X 22mm heating pipes running from the location of the MET to the boiler location, both individually bonded to the MET, soldered throughout, which I can locally bond to the gas main where it will come in to the house (at the temporary boiler location, through the wall).

Permitted under 543.2.6, however I'm not sure about clause (iii), not only for my own peace of mind as to compliance but also whether the gas engineer will be satisfied when he comes to fit the boiler (and how confidently I can say yes, it's definitely compliant).

Since the installation is under my total control, and I have no intention of allowing anyone else to work unsupervised in the house on water or any other service, does this clause mandate marking the pipes as earths throughout for instance? What constitutes a precaution against its removal in such a situation? Bearing in mind marking the entire length will involve lifting floorboards and be a similar pita to running a dedicated earth.

Tia, Pete

Never heart of anyone marking water pipes as an earth.
You know its safe.
Fit an earth clip to the gas pipe within 600mm of it entering the house. Attach a length of 10mm earth wire. Tie the other end to a brick and chuck it as far as you can under the floor. Gas guy sees earth and ticks box, job done. If he measures the earth he will get a good reading.

Boiler and gas is currently all outside so no requirement for bonding - that said it's all bonded anyway, CHS pipes need bonding so are so where they run past MET, where they get to the outside boiler the gas is bonded to them just for good measure. Now boiler is coming inside so gas will too, etc.

I did think about tying a bit of 10mm to a joist in the ceiling and attaching that for the benefit of the gas chap too!

Having just spoken to him about the flue which is a tricky run, mentioned what bonding he will want to see, he said 'within 600 of the meter' aaarrrggg. Meter is outside of course. Do you try to explain or just go along with? That said he's a decent bloke, said long as I'm happy he can just issue an advisory.

Never heart of anyone marking water pipes as an earth.
You know its safe.

I’ve never heard of it either. Not quite understanding your op @Pete1973. Haven’t the regs in front of me, but isn’t within 600mm or as near as practicable?

Edit; doesn’t the regs also say that a temporary installation be no less safe than a permanent one? Why pretend something is what it’s not. It’s your house, but the regulations have been made for a reason.

Only joking about the tied on earth! Temp installation certainly does have to be just as safe as permanent, question is more what constitutes compliance with clause (iii) - 'Unless compensatory measures are provided, precautions shall be taken against its removal' - that's in relation to using a 'extraneous-conductive-part' - ie a pipe - as an earth conductor.

I'm perfectly satisfied that it's safe, it's a 100mm CSA earth bond, and no one is going to be disconnecting it at the MET end, it's just that I'm wondering what others have considered satisfactory re clause (iii) in such circumstances.
[automerge]1575640865[/automerge]
Oh re the 600mm, the point is the meter is outside. So while the distance is right, the location (the gas chap thinks bonding is required) is wrong, location is afaik within 600 of the point of entrance to the dwelling of the gas pipe. Although to be fair the wording of the regs seems ambiguous, in that it does not explicitly state whether this is on the inside or outside. In my case there is 7 or 8 meters of copper between the meter and the point it enters the house (although the distinction in this case seems to not be important in terms of safety).

Last edited:
Hmm can't see the (iv) point, explain how? Identification or ability to hold the gas pipe at a safe potential? I think the term 'considered' means in this context considering its suitability after the original installation, rather than being originally considered (and hence designed) for the purpose. But if that's not the opinion of most I would prefer to go with the common interpretation...

Reply to Ensuring compliance with 543.2.6 (iii) when using heating pipe to bond gas main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net