Discuss First Job - Advice Required - External LED Floodlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would agree, I don't think you have given yourself enough time, also screw, raw plug, sleeving etc. also include vat unless your vat registered, maybe just give parts figure as a total unless they have requested a breakdown, prices may change if you have to use another wholesaler or something like that (unlikely but a possibility). Swa would be quicker to install but you need to include external glands with price too.

Chris

I would use SY cable as mechanical protection built in and stuffing glands into wp wilka boxes. which is then locally terminated into the light fitting. Or dependent on fitting wire SY direct into fitting.

i would use SWA. make sure you use the CW glands. and 3 hours is tight IMO, more like 5 hours, then what are you going to earn in the rest of the day? as for the VAT, if you are not VAT registered, quote your materials inc. VAT, then add labour without VAT.

Fellas

Thanks very much for all of the replies. I have now revised my plan and quotation as follows:

Install 24 hour timer on existing office lighting circuit adjacent to switches. Run fifteen meters of 1.5mm SWA from timer to IP65 rated junction box mounted on the roof next to signage. Install four floodlight extension arms (would like these to be about 30cm but struggling to find anything) at suitable intervals above signage. Replace the supplied floodlight (four in number) cabling with suitable cable and attach to IP65 rated junction box through stuffing glands. Mount floodlights on extension arms.

My new quote is:

Materials

ZXL floodlight (supplied)
New PVC floodlight flex
Floodlight extension arm
IP65 rated junction box
5 Pole Wago’s
Stuffing glands
1.5mm SWA (Steel Wire Armour cable)
SWA gland pack
SWA cleats
General purpose 24 hour Timer
Sundries (screws, Wall plugs, etc)

Labour

4 hours

Quantity

20 meters
15 meters
--

Cost

£00.00
£22.97

£02.97
£06.30
£01.73
£24.30
£03.33
£00.52
£21.20
£02.50

£100.00

Total

£185.82

I need to add on the cost of the extension arms when I find something suitable. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

'Example is the school of mankind, they will learn at no other'.

Hi Murdoch

Thanks again for your feedback. I am just starting out on my own and am not really sure where to pitch my pricing. I have plumped for £22.50 an hour initially but will adjust this depending upon demand for my services.

Are you advising £200 with the cost of the parts, I am not far away at £185.

Cheers

'Example is the school of mankind, they will learn at no other'!

I'd be telling Elecsa where to shove it!, absolutely no business of theirs to know what you charge or anything like that, Napit or NIC don't, all they should be interested in is that you do your job safely & correctly and you are suitable qualified, cheeky

Just remember that your hourly rate has to include your overheads. Think about holiday pay, tools wearing out, test equipment calibration, van repairs, insurance, scheme membership, business cards, to name but a few.

Just remember that your hourly rate has to include your overheads. Think about holiday pay, tools wearing out, test equipment calibration, van repairs, insurance, scheme membership, business cards, to name but a few.

Advertising, PPS, workwear, sickness, updates to the regs and the associated books.

Non payers..... the list goes on.

some good advice on this thread given by others ;

ditch the materials breakdown and give a single figure for all gear inc. 20% mark-up.
dont give an estimated number of hours for labour , if you do it quicker than stated they'll want money off , if it takes longer you'll look like a disorganised shmuck.
but do give a breakdown of tasks undertaken with your labour figure.

Hi Brightspark2 - SY is used extensively for mechanical protection in factories all over the country thus making acceptable for use in outside lighting. Please see technical spec. SY Control Cable BS6500

I see the link includes the comment:

"Can be used outdoors when protected, and in dry or moist conditions indoors." So not ideal by itself outside.

Personally I would use NYY (hi-tuf)

Dont charge VAT unless you are VAT registered, you will land yourself in some really really serious Brown stuff, and it will feel like your world has ended. HMRC dont do excuses, nor do they allow you to make mistakes.

Cheers............Howard

Reply to First Job - Advice Required - External LED Floodlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net