Discuss how do you find out which wire is which in lighting circuits? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mrsonic`

greetings

is there a device out there that can identify which wire is which in 2 way circuits? for example, if your lamp outside is controlled by a 2 way switch upstairs and downstairs, and you want to know which wire upstairs and downstairs is L1.
Is a continuity tester suitable for this investigation? how about disconnecting mains, go to the switch upstairs, put alternative power in wire that goes in L1 (about 20-30 volts) and then go downstairs and check which wire has 20-30 v running through it, using volt meter?

Seriously man just cut the seals, oh sorry wrong thread.

To check which wire is which mate , wait what am i sayin, is this thread a joke.

By the way i have never seen a seal they are always missin, honest;)

I hate been the one to ask silly questions but where are you going to get the 20-30v from????

What's the outside lamp got to do with the price of cheese?

Sorry - don't understand the question, but I do agree that calling in a sparky might be a good idea.

do continuity test, in my case I'll use my pet beetle to hop on the cable one end and get him to follow the cable to the other end, job done...:D

bet this chap is thinking "miserable bas***ds"

we are a fickle lot arent we

if somebody starts a post with "this might be a stupid question but....." they also get back slapped and told "there are no stupid questions ....etc etc"

wheras if they just dive straight in, they get shot down in flames.....:confused:

in answer to the question

yes youu should be able to tell by the colours.

if its two way, whatever is in common one end should be in common at the other, the strappers dont matter which way around.

If in doubt, isolate (unless you're Rum:D) and con check.

i guess alot of users were bemused or baffled by the home made solutions

if he'd asked how do you tell which wire is which in a two way circuit maybe we wouldn't have had so much of a laugh at his expense.
that said we do like the odd enthusiastic amateur :D

Reply to how do you find out which wire is which in lighting circuits? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock