Discuss How to work out the total design load to find my swa cable size in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Waiting room sockets tend to get very little use, I would just got with 20 amp radials, I wouldn't expect more than a couple of amps on each, higher load would only be short duration for a couple of minutes whilst the kettle is on.

Hi the earthing arrangement is TN-C-S and 100a supply, I was thinking time delayed if was going into existing board as not to trip the house, or just Henley block and have its own sub board non rcd at house end and having a tt at outbuilding end

I'll ask again, why does the submain need RCD protection?
How would a time delayed RCD prevent something in the house tripping?
Why does it need a TT arrangement at the outbuilding? What is preventing you from using, what is presumably, a perfectly good TNCS earth?

I'll ask again, why does the submain need RCD protection?
How would a time delayed RCD prevent something in the house tripping?
Why does it need a TT arrangement at the outbuilding? What is preventing you from using, what is presumably, a perfectly good TNCS earth?
Hi apologies, I just assumed discrimination if it was in the main existing board, the sub board would not need RCD, the tt I was just learnt many years ago if the out building was some distance from the house to install tt as there is no extraneous parts made from wood and plastic so no need for pme, sorry guys if to old skool. I do think it is best to use the existing TNCS.

120.36amp,,,, but if I do the 3 sockets rings as 20amp radials diversity will come in at 96.36amp..

This makes no sense. The load is determined by what people plug in, not by how you wire the sockets. What makes even less sense is the total consumption. Think about the heat you get from 120A (almost all electrical power gets converted to heat before it leaves the room)
120 x 230 = 27.6kW. Unless they leave the hot taps running, turn the heaters to max, keep refilling the kettle and take seven extra fanheaters in there they are not going to use 120A. The people would overheat even if the cables don't. If the installed heaters are adequate, the RFCs are going to see a couple of amps total except when the kettle is on.

Also, 2kW lighting? You can't buy GLS lamps any more :(

To give you some comparison, I sometimes provide lighting and power for fashion shows. We have a supply run in to a room with at least 20 stations doing hair styling and another 20 doing makeup/nails etc. Each of those stations has a mirror with around 8 lighbulbs around it (now LED bulbs) and the hair stylists are given another 13A socket each. They all bring a hair dryer and straighters/curlers and countless other styling 'tools'. We also power 3/4 x 3kw space heaters on constantly. Think we also fed a couple of Irons and steamers as well. They have a short space of time to turn the models round so are working constantly for an hour or so.

We supply all that from a 125A 3ph supply and from memory it rarely gets above 50/60A per phase. It definitely didnt get anywhere near the limit.

This makes no sense. The load is determined by what people plug in, not by how you wire the sockets. What makes even less sense is the total consumption. Think about the heat you get from 120A (almost all electrical power gets converted to heat before it leaves the room)
120 x 230 = 27.6kW. Unless they leave the hot taps running, turn the heaters to max, keep refilling the kettle and take seven extra fanheaters in there they are not going to use 120A. The people would overheat even if the cables don't. If the installed heaters are adequate, the RFCs are going to see a couple of amps total except when the kettle is on.

Also, 2kW lighting? You can't buy GLS lamps any more :(

Hi I was just following the OSG Table A2 for diversity on the circuits, the sockets as I don't know what is going to be plugged in I used the breaker rating(what other option without knowing) , the lights I have assumed 100w max per fitting I know this is now old and we all use leds, the swa mains to supply the circuits will have to be min 16mm as 40 meter run, I am right to think thst the iz of the 16mm swa 3core is 94amp clipped direct, thst will be a problem if my ib is 96amp,, I need to re work the figures to find realistic figures for lighting and sockets as they won't be drawing that much Im being to cautious as I have to present my figures to my gaffer and Building control Friday. Thanks again all

What is the total load after diversity in the house at present?

The reason I ask is if it’s 80amps then you only have 20 amps left for the outbuilding. Will this be enough?

Hi the main, supply is 100a in the house this is to power an outbuilding
He knows that ted he’s saying that if the upfront fuse is 100a and is already serving the house you’d need to deduct that usage (after diversity before you could think about using it on the outbuilding as well,
Diversity is more than just the 40% rule have a good think about how realistically the circuits will be loaded, for instance when you say 20 lights over 2 circuits you are unlikely to get near 100w total over both circuits with leds let alone 100w for one light ;)

What is the total load after diversity in the house at present?

The reason I ask is if it’s 80amps then you only have 20 amps left for the outbuilding. Will this be enough?

Will check the house 2mo as I not to sure, I have wired bigger extensions with a load more fittings and never had a problem before, just put of as this is a 40meter run my gaffer told me to use 10mm swa but as I know this is wrong and have my own 18th edition I am liable if it hits the fan so I want to be exact sure of everything to the tee my nick name used to be health and safe ted. 96amp ib seems a lot for 20 led spots, 9sockets, 3 heaters and to water heaters instantaneous. That is like 22kw

Didn’t realise you where working on someone else’s house. I thought you where working on your own property.

Is your boss an electrician?

Does he know about loading and cable calcs.

You quite rightly point out it’s your liability if your the qualified supervisor, not his.
If the property does not have a big enough supply, tell him and the customer.

Your profile is limited so I don’t know the extent of your experience or qualifications.

Although 96 amps sounds like an awful lot for what your talking about, presuming the swa is buried in a duct or ground or whatever I can't work out how you got 16mm
The 16mm swa is clipped direct 3core, 94amps current carrying capacity is what I found out from the technical information from the wholesaler when contacted them, as I couldn't find it in the books and online was getting different amounts. In your knowledge what would you say the current carrying capacity of 16mm swa 3core clipped direct and buried is.

The 16mm swa is clipped direct 3core, 94amps current carrying capacity is what I found out from the technical information from the wholesaler when contacted them, as I couldn't find it in the books and online was getting different amounts. In your knowledge what would you say the current carrying capacity of 16mm swa 3core clipped direct and buried is.
Clipped direct is fine I was only taking a guess at buried

Didn’t realise you where working on someone else’s house. I thought you where working on your own property.

Is your boss an electrician?

Does he know about loading and cable calcs.

You quite rightly point out it’s your liability if your the qualified supervisor, not his.
If the property does not have a big enough supply, tell him and the customer.

Your profile is limited so I don’t know the extent of your experience or qualifications.

Hi yes it is my uncles house I started out on my own in November after 15years with the council doing house bashing and so on electrically for them and have just ended up subbing out to a company with 6 of us since then and get left to it completely,
I have 15 years experience in wiring and have my level 2-3 +my 18 edition and my testing and inspection +part p and a hnc in construction, I know my job just not may council houses required lavish outhouses to be fitted by us requiring 40meter runs of swa, I am new to forums and appreciate all the views from follow sparks and the vast knowledge you bring from each sector of r trade thanks guys.

Haven’t got my book to hand but it’s not 94amps

Minimum 25mm would be required if it’s 94amps, however if it is 94 amps then you’ve got 6 amps left for the main house.

Is that enough?

At a guess 16 mm SWA is about 70-75 amps( guess).

If buried this will drop to maybe 63-68 amps( again a guess).

It’s all in the big blue book. You should be able to get these figures for yourself and work it out.

Do not use my figures, they may be wrong.

Don’t forget to do voltage drop on cable size and pfc.

Last edited:

Reply to How to work out the total design load to find my swa cable size in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock