Discuss Looped supply through garage? Look ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi

Just bought this 1960s house, will be doing full rewire. Incoming supply splits and goes through hole in garage to next door. This is a looped supply?

From what I've read this can restrict us getting an electric car charger in future, that I can speak to the dno about unlooping.

Electrician said the earth cable clamp (coming from next door), clamping on to the mains at the bottom, was loose. Is that a dno issue?

How safe is this setup, sharing next door via a hole in the wall? I believe they are on old style fuses like this with no rcds. If anything were to blow or fire on their old electrics, would it quickly spread through here?

I don't want to annoy the neighbours by having the driveway dug up, but I also want to be safe.

On the full rewire, does this old bit of backboard have to stay? Or is it fine?

Thanks

View attachment 105084
The ceiling does look like asbestos. If the property has an internal garage, there is a good chance it will be asbestos. It’s there as a fire break to stop the fire spreading to the rest of the property If it has a door into the property from the garage that could be asbestos as well Get it checked before you start work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Just bought this 1960s house, will be doing full rewire. Incoming supply splits and goes through hole in garage to next door. This is a looped supply?

From what I've read this can restrict us getting an electric car charger in future, that I can speak to the dno about unlooping.

Electrician said the earth cable clamp (coming from next door), clamping on to the mains at the bottom, was loose. Is that a dno issue?

How safe is this setup, sharing next door via a hole in the wall? I believe they are on old style fuses like this with no rcds. If anything were to blow or fire on their old electrics, would it quickly spread through here?

I don't want to annoy the neighbours by having the driveway dug up, but I also want to be safe.

On the full rewire, does this old bit of backboard have to stay? Or is it fine?

Thanks

View attachment 105084
Hi Chriso did you manage to find a solution? We are in a similar situation with our property that was splits into 2 different properties some time ago. We brought UKPN to request to unloop the service but they say that it is not a looped service but rather a single phase supply which laterally feeds my upstairs neighbour via a private cable...

Interesting that this should come up because I've got WPD (ok national grid) coming on Friday to look at a similar situation at a job I'm in the early stages of. In this case 2 supplies coming from 1 fairly new cutout. Tbh I don't think I've ever seen this before in my area and the guy at NG seemed quite surprised and said it wasn't 'correct'. I'm interested in what you all think about their likely reaction as the job will probably entail moving one of the supplies and it will be many brownie points for me if I can steer it in the 'no charge' direction.
Ignore the awful swa connection straight off the meter ....its coming out!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_153750_240(1).jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Reply to Looped supply through garage? Look ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net