Discuss Certain accents not worth quoting for? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have come to the point that I no longer even waste my time quoting when I hear Certain accents who call me. No disrespect to any accent but I have concluded that I have wasted far too much of my time over the years not having the majority of my quotes accepted or wanting discount to the point it's just not worth doing the job.

I won't say what accents I am referring to as that wouldn't be PC, but I am happy to work for anyone including Zulu warriors providing they don't waste my time (not that I do many quotes for zulu warriors).

Am I leaving myself open for criticism admitting this terrrible thing, and should I continue wasting my time just to remain PC?

I have come to the point that I no longer even waste my time quoting when I hear Certain accents who call me. No disrespect to any accent but I have concluded that I have wasted far too much of my time over the years not having the majority of my quotes accepted or wanting discount to the point it's just not worth doing the job.

I won't say what accents I am referring to as that wouldn't be PC, but I am happy to work for anyone including Zulu warriors providing they don't waste my time (not that I do many quotes for zulu warriors).

Am I leaving myself open for criticism admitting this terrrible thing, and should I continue wasting my time just to remain PC?
I know where you are coming from Mate.

I have a similar thought when it comes to phone calls.
Usually they are telling me that my comp is infected or my IP address has been hacked.
It's a shame really but a few always spoil it for the rest...

I have found, through experience, that you get good and bad customers from all walks of life, all races, all religions. Just like you get criminals and selfless charity workers from all walks of life.
It really shouldn't matter to you at all unless it already matters to you from other personal beliefs or prejudices you have.

I do think I can tell some customers I would rather avoid from just a phone conversation, but it's nothing to do with accents. If you are making a judgement on an accent then you are prejudiced, and that's not a judgement on you personally, just how it works by definition of the word.

Certain cultures are more likely to haggle, but if that's not your style then make your rates and terms clear.

I make my rates clear before turning up to any job and never have a problem. Those that want me pay, and those that want it cheaper ring someone else.

I think we're conditioned to think this way (due to biased threads and talk like this). I don't believe their is any difference due to 'accent', we just decide to notice it more and remember more when the accent is one that we have an inbuilt prejudice against due to society.

Why, those Etonians in Kensington, Knightsbridge and Belgravia are a dodgy lot.........

Often the case, deep pockets, short arms

My rich brother in law, with 3 Ferrari's and a couple of very expensive BMWs won't pay my day rate .............. - he does live in a slightly cheaper part of the country..........

I have found, through experience, that you get good and bad customers from all walks of life, all races, all religions. Just like you get criminals and selfless charity workers from all walks of life.
It really shouldn't matter to you at all unless it already matters to you from other personal beliefs or prejudices you have.

I do think I can tell some customers I would rather avoid from just a phone conversation, but it's nothing to do with accents. If you are making a judgement on an accent then you are prejudiced, and that's not a judgement on you personally, just how it works by definition of the word.

Certain cultures are more likely to haggle, but if that's not your style then make your rates and terms clear.

I make my rates clear before turning up to any job and never have a problem. Those that want me pay, and those that want it cheaper ring someone else.

To suggest I'm prejudiced is interesting and rather presumptuous. Of course everyone is different, of course there is good and bad in all people of all accents, cultures, religions etc etc.

After many years I concluded that I only got around a third of jobs I quoted to people with certain accents, but yet my quotes were accepted by two thirds of people without those accents, plus no wanting dicounts (and they would provide the cable etc).

I always clearly and transparently make my rates known and that I don't haggle (and it's the same price if they want to pay cash)

I charge the same rate to people regardless of their accent, and I am always friendly, polite and decent, but you have concluded that it must be down to me being prejudiced.

I would be interested to know how you make your rates clear before you turn up to quote someone, because how can you quote them if you haven't even seen the job, with the exception of some jobs such as fault finding which is an hourly rate?

Why, those Etonians in Kensington, Knightsbridge and Belgravia are a dodgy lot.........
I found that the more assets and money you had dictated hoe much of a pain in the backside you become when discussing money and payments, I suppose in the great Scheme of things that how they become flush with dosh in the first place, could relate some quite funny experiences with quoting for jobs at the completion of my Diplomatic travels, "HOW MUCH"

To suggest I'm prejudiced is interesting and rather presumptuous. Of course everyone is different, of course there is good and bad in all people of all accents, cultures, religions etc etc.

After many years I concluded that I only got around a third of jobs I quoted to people with certain accents, but yet my quotes were accepted by two thirds of people without those accents, plus no wanting dicounts (and they would provide the cable etc).

I always clearly and transparently make my rates known and that I don't haggle (and it's the same price if they want to pay cash)

I charge the same rate to people regardless of their accent, and I am always friendly, polite and decent, but you have concluded that it must be down to me being prejudiced.

I would be interested to know how you make your rates clear before you turn up to quote someone, because how can you quote them if you haven't even seen the job, with the exception of some jobs such as fault finding which is an hourly rate?

My use of the word prejudiced is one of definition. It's not a presumption, it's based on what you said. You have said you will no longer quote work for certain accents based on your experience. That is prejudiced by definition.
Much the same as if I said I will no longer work for builders as they are all arse holes I would be prejudiced against builders.

I never suggested you charged different people different rates.

Yes I was on about hourly rates or small jobs quoted over the phone. Obviously a larger quoted job must be seen. I win the large majority of them and don't regret the ones I lose.

I think we're conditioned to think this way (due to biased threads and talk like this). I don't believe their is any difference due to 'accent', we just decide to notice it more and remember more when the accent is one that we have an inbuilt prejudice against due to society.

I am referring to actual fact based on many years of experience, which is completely different from being conditioned to think this way.

I frankly couldn't care less what relgion, accent or culture someone has, and I am not talking about a handful of experiences, but many hundreds over the years.

Often the case, deep pockets, short arms

My rich brother in law, with 3 Ferrari's and a couple of very expensive BMWs won't pay my day rate .............. - he does live in a slightly cheaper part of the country..........
Is your brother in law called @snap a jack by any chance

My use of the word prejudiced is one of definition. It's not a presumption, it's based on what you said. You have said you will no longer quote work for certain accents based on your experience. That is prejudiced by definition.
Much the same as if I said I will no longer work for builders as they are all arse holes I would be prejudiced against builders.

I never suggested you charged different people different rates.

Yes I was on about hourly rates or small jobs quoted over the phone. Obviously a larger quoted job must be seen. I win the large majority of them and don't regret the ones I lose.

Prejudice as per the dictionary: 'preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.'

Being I am not basing my comments on a preconceived opinion and it is specifically based on actual experience, then the word prejudice isn't appropriate.

Prejudice as per the dictionary: 'preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.'

Being I am not basing my comments on a preconceived opinion and it is specifically based on actual experience, then the word prejudice isn't appropriate.

Exactly. You've had no personal experience with a customer you've never met, but have preconceived opinions about them.

As you say, preconceived ideas based on your experience of others though.

I have to agree with @peterhyper about the definition of 'Prejudice'. I've also looked it up in the Oxford Dictionary and it is as he says.

I don't have much dealing with customers, like you guys do.
What I was referring to are phone calls to my home address, which 90% of the ones I get with a certain accent are dodgy phone calls. Therefore I am weary when answering the home phone and hear this accent.
If I'm at work then it's a totally different matter. I don't care about accents as we deal with people world wide.
I would not class myself as prejudice.

I gave you a disagree mate. for one simple reason, many folk will give you the go ahead, only to haggle and complain on completion of the work, no matter how strongly you point out your terms and conditions.

I gave you a disagree mate. for one simple reason, many folk will give you the go ahead, only to haggle and complain on completion of the work, no matter how strongly you point out your terms and conditions.

You don't have to explain your disagree Pete, but cheers anyway.

That's what terms and conditions are for surely, to protect the trader in the event of a dispute ? Maybe naiive on my part ?

I must admit I seem to live a charmed existence where customers treat and pay me well. I don't seem to suffer at the hands of customers as much as some.
I have had very few experiences in over 7 years of self employment of non payment.

I must admit these have left me with slightly prejudiced opinions against estate agents and out of town maintenance agencies.

Reply to Certain accents not worth quoting for? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock