Discuss Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi everyone,

I just had my distributer box upgraded to an RCD box, and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the quality of the work done here. I know that changing these boxes is a nightmare to do, and truth be told our wiring was a mess before, but for the price we payed I don't believe there should be electrical tape and exposed wires coming out of the box. Also you can see the housing for the old night electricity box which they have decided to leave and they also chose not to cover the channel with all the exposed wires. I'm just curious to see what this forum's take is on this work, and if it was worth the £700 I payed for it.

Thanks!

(This is my first post, so if I am in the wrong category I apologise)
View attachment 45054

View attachment 45055
Is that supposed to be finished?

Wow, I've seen worse but that does make the hall of shame alright..

It’s not up to standard but you’ve got that already, first of all did you get a written quotation for the work ?. find out if he’s registered , ask him if it’s not obvious on his website. (most likely not), I'm sure in Scotland you need to do something similar to Part P of the building regulations( which requires notification to building control in England and wales) ,

Contractually he has offered to do some work for you. It’s not up to a competent standard of workmanship, but legally you have to be reasonable about it and give him the opportunity to correct his work. if he’s not registered as A competent person in Scotland, then I don't think you have any worries, as he’s very unlikely to take you to court to enforce a contract he could not legally fulfil.

do look for a second local electrician to check over his work and quote for repairs.

Your entitled to have the job completed to a fit and proper standard of workmanship and it goes without saying it should be safe as well.

as for the price, it does seem quite steep, but that's not really a point, the price is negotiated at the begin of the quotations, if your happy with it then you accept the quotation, or get 3 different quotations is always good ... we all value ourselves differently, and we have different geographic.

I'm not that familiar with the requirements of Scotland for domestic
electrical work. you can check below for more information.

Guidance on electrical work not requiring a warrant (Domestic) - https://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards/publications/glf2

Wow that’s Shocking that’s certainly not been done by an electrician total chancer alright.

Yep up here in scotland you don’t have to be registered with a scheme but you certainly should have paperwork and test certificates.

For that price I would have stripped the whole cupboard, new backing board brand new board all labels and stickered up with certificates to boot

Scheme membership aside ........... ALL fuseboard changes should include a full test of the installation and an EIC be issued to the homeowner ..................

If you get an EIC, could you post a copy on here (your and his info redacted)?

Were you there when the work was done? The electrician should have spent a good couple of hours (if not longer) going round the entire house carrying out out tests on all sockets and the light fittings/switches. Any idea if any of that happened?

Were you there when the work was done? The electrician should have spent a good couple of hours (if not longer) going round the entire house carrying out out tests on all sockets and the light fittings/switches. Any idea if any of that happened?
pigs flying comes to mind.

1) Do not pay a penny, that’s a disgrace.

2) If the Cowboy gets argumentative report him to trading standards for doing work well out of his capabilities. Also, link him to this thread on this forum and inpaticular the paragraph below

STOP! You absolute <insert word> You’re completely out of your depth and are doing work that has the potential to cause harm to persons or properties. Go to college, start again.

Crikey - that's so bad I'm angry.

No one who's ever spent a few minutes looking at their own CU would think that was the right way do it. I can't see how it's possible the person that did this is qualified, or in fact even trained at all.

I think someone else said you should get another spark to review the work, and then negotiate with the first guy. I'd be firmer though, as he has provided you absolutely nothing of value at all. It's just dangerous and a mess you now have to find someone else to clear up. If he supplied the CU itself then tell him you'll leave it outside for him to collect once a professional has fitted a new one.

I was about to ask if you could take the cover off and provide a photo of the artistry no doubt hidden away in there... But frankly, I don't want to encourage you to go near it until it's sorted.

In fact really don't take it off. I opened one up once to investigate a failed MCB and then realised that one of the screws holding the cover on had cut through a messily routed circuit live. Those are the sort of hidden dangers that cowboys create without even understanding the danger. I also discovered that the MCB hadn't been remotely tightened on to the busbar, which had led to it arcing, then overheating the busbar to the point it had melted the back of the MCB completely. So whoever put it in had essentially created a fire risk and hidden it behind a booby-trapped cover!! :mad:

Crikey - that's so bad I'm angry.

No one who's ever spent a few minutes looking at their own CU would think that was the right way do it. I can't see how it's possible the person that did this is qualified, or in fact even trained at all.

I think someone else said you should get another spark to review the work, and then negotiate with the first guy. I'd be firmer though, as he has provided you absolutely nothing of value at all. It's just dangerous and a mess you now have to find someone else to clear up. If he supplied the CU itself then tell him you'll leave it outside for him to collect once a professional has fitted a new one.

I was about to ask if you could take the cover off and provide a photo of the artistry no doubt hidden away in there... But frankly, I don't want to encourage you to go near it until it's sorted.

In fact really don't take it off. I opened one up once to investigate a failed MCB and then realised that one of the screws holding the cover on had cut through a messily routed circuit live. Those are the sort of hidden dangers that cowboys create without even understanding the danger. I also discovered that the MCB hadn't been remotely tightened on to the busbar, which had led to it arcing, then overheating the busbar to the point it had melted the back of the MCB completely. So whoever put it in had essentially created a fire risk and hidden it behind a booby-trapped cover!! :mad:
Did the homeowner/tenant have good life insurance sounds more like an assassination attempt than a CU install

Did the homeowner/tenant have good life insurance sounds more like an assassination attempt than a CU install

It was my mother in laws! I think it was the chap that did their extension about 15 years ago that put it in, or some chancer he slipped a few notes to..

It's not even the first time though. I found a screw through the live in the backbox of a socket in a new build I had moved into. Just people leaving way to much excess cable inside boxes and then scrunching it all in as they close it up, thus setting their trap...

Bag of rubbish!
Did he do the top CU also as it looks like a plastic? box?

Is it a flat or house and is that a separating wall? It might have need a building Warrant.

Hi, thanks for replying!
No, I have not paid yet as I was fairly confident that this was not good work. The electrition that did the work was self employed and did not issue any sort of paperwork. Any advice on where to go from here?
Thanks for replying!
I doubt he was an electrician....

For one don't pay him, is there any way you can check out his registration, did he use a Van or did he use a private car, if a van was used did it have any decals on it saying if he was a member of any Scheme? if he isn't registered I guess your only option would be to go to Trading Standards and take advice from them, good jo you haven't paid up, if you speak to him, ask for an Electrical Installation Certificate EIC (as sparkychick mentioned) as technically the job isn't finished until a cert is issued, good luck, and sorry, welcome to the forum.
Horse?.....

Reply to Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock