Discuss How would you (a professional) look to get a spotlight up here? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So, another impossible question by me here - but any advice at all really appreciated.

I'd like to place a spotlight at the top of the peak of my house, it's not a downlight - but a spotlight - so needs mounting on the front of the fascia and then pointing kind of back on itself.

The orange line is my best idea so far, but I'm not a professional. I was thinking of putting the cable from the fitting into the front fascia, drop the cable down the soffit then run it back up into the loft using rods up the vent, but a few problems with this. And I suspect it's not how you professionals would go about it.

This may be one I call someone in for but I'm still intrigued how it'd be done 'properly'. Behind the triangle in the loft is solid block, no visible way to the soffit/fascia other than the vents at the side.

How would you (a professional) look to get a spotlight up here? job - EletriciansForums.net

drill through the wood and block just under the apex of the roof (bottom green line of the box drawn), fit a black adaptable box if required to join the flex from spotlight to twin and earth entering house.

drill through the wood and block just under the apex of the roof (bottom green line of the box drawn), fit a black adaptable box if required to join the flex from spotlight to twin and earth entering house.

Thanks a lot for the reply James! Struggling this one and don't want to get up the ladder to attempt it until I have a plan.

So run the cable from the back of the light fitting (fitted on the front) under to the soffit then into the soffit?

Would you attempt to run the cable along the orange line like I suggested? I think the ideal here would be to go straight into the loft but behind the apex is breeze block, so I'm not sure how it'd get it over?

Thanks again mate

drill a 12mm hole straight through where marked,
fit a black adaptable box infront of hole with hole in back for cable entry and bottom for cable exit.View attachment job3.jpg

Attachments

• job3.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 20
drill a 12mm hole straight through where marked,
fit a black adaptable box infront of hole with hole in back for cable entry and bottom for cable exit.

Ah sorry! I see. Funnily enough somebody down the road has a flood light and it's exactly where you have marked. What I'm most confused about though is how you'd get to that from the loft. It's a full solid block wall behind there, even with rods not sure how I could fish it out or pull it through?

Thanks again mate, appreciate it

i presume you can access the loft behind the wall?

drill straight through

Reply to How would you (a professional) look to get a spotlight up here? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock