Discuss I was wondering if someone has five minutes to review requirements? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Day;

I am installing an external portable 4KW, 30A generator to my small mountain cabin. I have accounted for an external generator hook point, external 30A fused disconnect leading to the internal 12-way Square-D power distribution board. An external 4ft copper ground rod provides the ground protection to the entire system. My main Square-D board has its own mains isolation switch between the incoming supply and board distribution breakers. I have been reading up on USA electrical code, and I have to say there is allot conflicting information out there. I am aware each state/city has its own requirements however; the N.E.C sets the national guidelines.

To this end, I would like to follow the N.E.C guide lines for my installation. I am not 100% certain on the power board breaker types required for each of my circuits/applications. To my knowledge there are four main types of a breaker: 1) regular breakers, 2) GFCI breakers, 3) AFCI and 4) GFCI/AFCI combo-breakers.

Below are my main circuits and assumption to the breakers I require:
  • 5 x outside deck lights, on a: 15AMP AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
  • 4 x external power sockets (each socket is already GFCI protected) on a: 20amp AFCI breaker?
  • 4 x internal sockets (not individually GFCI protected) on a: 20Amp AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
  • 4 x internal cabin lights; on a 15Amp AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
  • 1 x internal wall mounted 1500W Electric panel heater; on a 15AMP AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
I have also included a Square-D QO surge breaker in my board in case of lightning or power spikes caused by the generator. The cabin is located in Colorado, should there electrical requirements be more stringent than the N.E.C guidelines.
  1. I would very much appreciate it if someone could provide me feedback on my breaker choices to comply with the N.E.C guidelines.
  2. Based on my written description is there anything else I have missed?
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Daniel

Good Day;

I am installing an external portable 4KW, 30A generator to my small mountain cabin. I have accounted for an external generator hook point, external 30A fused disconnect leading to the internal 12-way Square-D power distribution board. An external 4ft copper ground rod provides the ground protection to the entire system. My main Square-D board has its own mains isolation switch between the incoming supply and board distribution breakers. I have been reading up on USA electrical code, and I have to say there is allot conflicting information out there. I am aware each state/city has its own requirements however; the N.E.C sets the national guidelines.

To this end, I would like to follow the N.E.C guide lines for my installation. I am not 100% certain on the power board breaker types required for each of my circuits/applications. To my knowledge there are four main types of a breaker: 1) regular breakers, 2) GFCI breakers, 3) AFCI and 4) GFCI/AFCI combo-breakers.

Below are my main circuits and assumption to the breakers I require:
  • 5 x outside deck lights, on a: 15AMP AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
  • 4 x external power sockets (each socket is already GFCI protected) on a: 20amp AFCI breaker?
  • 4 x internal sockets (not individually GFCI protected) on a: 20Amp AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
  • 4 x internal cabin lights; on a 15Amp AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
  • 1 x internal wall mounted 1500W Electric panel heater; on a 15AMP AFCI /GFCI combo breaker?
I have also included a Square-D QO surge breaker in my board in case of lightning or power spikes caused by the generator. The cabin is located in Colorado, should there electrical requirements be more stringent than the N.E.C guidelines.
  1. I would very much appreciate it if someone could provide me feedback on my breaker choices to comply with the N.E.C guidelines.
  2. Based on my written description is there anything else I have missed?
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Daniel
Daniel if the log cabin is already wired by code it should already have at least 1 ground rod if that’s not the case you need to drive 2 ground rods no less than 6 foot apart using #6 bare wire and tie all the rods and neutral bar together

Daniel if the log cabin is already wired by code it should already have at least 1 ground rod if that’s not the case you need to drive 2 ground rods no less than 6 foot apart using #6 bare wire and tie all the rods and neutral bar together
Good Afternoon. The cabin currently has no electrical installation. I will ensure two ground rods are installed. Have I chosen my board breakers correctly?

Good Afternoon. The cabin currently has no electrical installation. I will ensure two ground rods are installed. Have I chosen my board breakers correctly?
Daniel the only thing that I seen I think where you want to plug in your 1500 watt heater I think you should go 20 amps. You call it a cabin, having said that code enforcement could label it as a building. Make sure all loads are GFCI protected and ground all metal parts like boxes, switches, receptacles

Daniel the only thing that I seen I think where you want to plug in your 1500 watt heater I think you should go 20 amps. You call it a cabin, having said that code enforcement could label it as a building. Make sure all loads are GFCI protected and ground all metal parts like boxes, switches, receptacles

I really appreciate the advice. I will increase the heater circuit to 20A, ensure everything is grounded properly and will use GFCI/AFCI combo-breakers on the board accept for the outside sockets as they are already GFCI protected. In this case, I will use just AFCI breakers on the distribution board.

Thank you again.

Daniel

I really appreciate the advice. I will increase the heater circuit to 20A, ensure everything is grounded properly and will use GFCI/AFCI combo-breakers on the board accept for the outside sockets as they are already GFCI protected. In this case, I will use just AFCI breakers on the distribution board.

Thank you again.

Daniel
Daniel good luck my friend and enjoy your cabin

Reply to I was wondering if someone has five minutes to review requirements? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock