Discuss Best way to add new sockets in existing stud wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all,

My house is a typical 1930s semi. Seems that the partition walls between each room are stud walls. There is only one single socket in each bedroom which is clearly not ideal therefore i want to add more. The upstairs sockets are fed off a 4mm radial so I am thinking of ripping it out and putting in a 2.5mm ring. Due to the frame of the stud walls I have noticed it’s not a case of just cutting out my socket locations and feeding a cable down and behind the skirting board as there is a piece of timber that runs the length of the bottom of the wall/skirting board. Hope this makes sense. What is the best way to rewire the upstairs sockets when dealing with an existing stud wall. Regards

1930s will be floor boards , pop a few boards and route new cables under floors. Drill a small hole (20mm) up through the base plate of the stud and you should be able to fish cables up into position.

(Watch out for pipes and other cables)

are these studded walls board or lath and plaster, being 1930's?

Laffin plaster is variable in terms of the solidity of the hole cut. So what I do is cut out a section put in concrete board (that is stud to stud or maybe even two studs apart) then skim. You can cut a nice neat hole in concrete board and it is strong enough. This allows you to fish wires and so on and gain much better access to the feed point, as well as drill up through the floorboards for the cable between the studs.

Laffin plaster is variable in terms of the solidity of the hole cut. So what I do is cut out a section put in concrete board (that is stud to stud or maybe even two studs apart) then skim. You can cut a nice neat hole in concrete board and it is strong enough. This allows you to fish wires and so on and gain much better access to the feed point, as well as drill up through the floorboards for the cable between the studs.
philistine... adding concrete to perfectly good timber structure. bit if scrap 3 x 2 out of builder skip, noggins and galv. boxes.

What is "Laffin Plaster" sorry if I'm thick or something

What is "Laffin Plaster" sorry if I'm thick or something
it's a northern term pete. lath (transkar=ted ti=osoutherners as laff, coz the can't pronunce th, in as and same reason.

anb y cristmas this ale is eggselent.

it's a northern term pete. lath (transkar=ted ti=osoutherners as laff, coz the can't pronunce th, in as and same reason.

anb y cristmas this ale is eggselent.
Right Tel, so we need a translator when we get a Northerner on the line :tongue::tongue::tongue:?

nah.it's yous sotherners that need to learn english, alfgarnett is dead, and essex is just a blip that will soon be flooded due to us northeners raisinf global temp. so we don't freeze.

Got it Lathe and Plaster, thick Northerners want to learn to spell. Laffin plaster???

Thanks for the replies. To my surprise the walls are plaster board. I expected lath and plaster myself. Some of you relate too drilling a hole up through the base board of the timber frame but this would be impossible to do under the floorboard as there is no way of manouvering a drill within the space under the upstairs floorboards. Is there another way?

Thanks for the replies. To my surprise the walls are plaster board. I expected lath and plaster myself. Some of you relate too drilling a hole up through the base board of the timber frame but this would be impossible to do under the floorboard as there is no way of manouvering a drill within the space under the upstairs floorboards. Is there another way?
cut out back box where required, then drill down. flat bit or auger with 12" extension.

Reply to Best way to add new sockets in existing stud wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock