Discuss Control panel - means of isolation - position of isolator in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SteveDoran

I'm currently signing off new machinery and the control panel isolator is on the side of the panel. I've always believed the handle should be on the door so the panel needs to be isolated prior to opening the door since the handle interlocks into the body of the isolator when in the 'on' position. The manufacturer states the panel conforms with the CE standard but I'm more inclined to think the components within the panel conform (shrouded) but the panel does not meet good electrical practice guidance - If the isolator is OK mounted on the side of the panel I would expect to see warning labels on the doors detailing isolator position and live components etc - any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The info you require and need to read up on BS 60204-1 clause 6.2.2, the method you state is only one of a few options available ...also read the exceptions listed too.

TBH if you are signing off panels and questioning these and possible other points then I would suggest you get familiar with the requirements of the BS60204 (part 1 for general requirements) and also depending on what the panel is doing then other dedicated sections may also apply to specific control systems.

If your panel has all the paperwork and CE marks then why are you getting involved; what exactly are you signing off?...possibly the connection between the customers circuit and the panel ???... if so I'd not dig yourself an hole and just limit your signing off to what you have been asked to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I'm signing off the entire machine complex, mechanical, electrical, safety, efficiency, compatibility etc and the panel was one part of the big picture. I'm always wary of accepting a CE mark as the final compliance statement since the standard is interpreted differently dependant on country of manufacture - UK seeming to be the most stringent and hence my 'wariness'. Does BS 60204-1 clause 6.2.2 basically say it is OK to place the isolator on the side of the panel and not have interlocked doors into the panel? Thanks again, Steve

So a panel that trained personnel could reasonably be expected to access without powering down.
You want a door interlocked isolator?

BTW I hate palletizers, bloody temperamental heaps of crap.

Thanks for your reply. I'm signing off the entire machine complex, mechanical, electrical, safety, efficiency, compatibility etc and the panel was one part of the big picture. I'm always wary of accepting a CE mark as the final compliance statement since the standard is interpreted differently dependant on country of manufacture - UK seeming to be the most stringent and hence my 'wariness'. Does BS 60204-1 clause 6.2.2 basically say it is OK to place the isolator on the side of the panel and not have interlocked doors into the panel? Thanks again, Steve

I can neither give a definitive yes or no answer, there are 2 pages relating to that clause giving guidance on what methods can be employed and where exemptions can be made if other measures have been taken... I'll re-iterate - you need a copy of the BS60204 IMHO if you are signing off its EC compliant as a second or third party ... Im happy to point you in the right direction but Ill refrain from doing all the research for you as the answer is tailored to each panel design and not a one solution fits all.

PS ...If as suggested - trained operators require access to panel without powering down then you can get away with a side mounted interlock if other methods have been employed to ensure direct contact is not an issue, this could be in the formof finger guard style terminals, shields or an integral interlock system that requires an internal isolation switch be operated to allow access to what would have been live parts.

You have to ask yourself if access should be limited to competent Electricians/Engineers or would the nature of the machine require access to a lesser knowledged person for adjustments or reset functions... which then I would query why these haven't been made accessible for the operator without the need to enter the panel.

Does BS 60204-1 clause 6.2.2 basically say it is OK to place the isolator on the side of the panel and not have interlocked doors into the panel? Thanks again, Steve
PM me with a gmail address and I'll send you something for reference, it's about 0.5 meg filesize and 128 pages long.

Reply to Control panel - means of isolation - position of isolator in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net