Discuss Flexible Conduit (N.Bundy job) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’ve watched a few of N Bundys YouTube videos and from what I’ve seen he seems a good domestic electrician. Someone like him would be ideal for knocking out new builds to a good standard and at a good pace....If he worked for you, he would definitely earn you a few quid. However l, I do think using the kopex, like he has was a poor choice. I bit of tray or trunking would of done the job or drilled the joists.

The word containment used to annoy me too, but I guess I have just got used to it over the years.

Yes conduit and trunking were originally designed for singles many many years ago, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing they can, or should, be used for.

steel conduit and galvanised trunking should really be used exclusively for singles imo As it was originally intended...
plastic conduit , kopex and plastic trunking can really be used for anything just to provide additional mechanical protection / cable containmen.
i do feel it has become almost frowned upon to clip cables on the surface , But imo there is nothing wrong with clipped surface

steel conduit and galvanised trunking should really be used exclusively for singles imo As it was originally intended...
plastic conduit , kopex and plastic trunking can really be used for anything just to provide additional mechanical protection / cable containmen.
i do feel it has become almost frowned upon to clip cables on the surface , But imo there is nothing wrong with clipped surface
Its like most practises, that have become almost extinct in this industry, maybe too labour intensive.

So we should all be installing VIR singles? After all that is what galvanised trunking and conduit was originally intended for, PVC insulated cables hadn't been invented.

Why shouldn't we be able to put any cable type in galvanised conduit or trunking? If something needs the mechanical protection of steel conduit then put it in steel conduit, it doesnt matter whether is is singles or anything else.

So we should all be installing VIR singles? After all that is what galvanised trunking and conduit was originally intended for, PVC insulated cables hadn't been invented.
Why shouldn't we be able to put any cable type in galvanised conduit or trunking? If something needs the mechanical protection of steel conduit then put it in steel conduit, it doesnt matter whether is is singles or anything else.
I suppose minds could become a bit clouded dependant upon experience but one thing is for sure....you're absolutely spot on with that one.

i can’t disagree with that , I’m just saying steel conduit was designed for single cables to be pulled through it...

Same with galv trunking, eh?

again , I’m not saying don’t use it to contain various varieties of cables

I’m just saying it’s primary function was to contain single cables & should remain its primary function

again , I’m not saying don’t use it to contain various varieties of cables

I’m just saying it’s primary function was to contain single cables & should remain its primary function

It's primary function was, and still is, to provide good mechanical protection to cables. Other functions include providing a rewireable system.

Yes when it was first used it was only for single core cables, but only because that's all they had at the time.

These days we have a variety of cables which need that level of protection, including but not limited to, CAT5/6, sensor cables, fire alarm cables, telecoms, control systems cables, fibre optics.

I think there is a training issue here too. When I did my training at college there wasnt the much emphasis on the visual aesthetics of clipping and most of it was just based on "it looks passable"

It was only through watching GSH electrical videos that I realised there was methods and guidance to obtaining perfect bends/straight runs/ clipping distances evertime.

I still haven't done that much clipping work or containment but when I have I now try and spend time doing it with pride and using the guidance.

I recently clipped a 1mm HO7RNF around the outside of a friends house for some exterior lighting, spent time dressing it and ensuring clips were even and runs where straight. I went back a few weeks later to se my friend and I felt a great sense of pride. That feeling is well worth the extra Time and patience.

Arn't there guideline's in the UK on how full a conduit can be?
Yes there’s a conduit factor but it is based on singles. I think for other cables it’s something like 35-45% should be left as free space for circulation of heat dissipation or drawing in of other conductors but I’d have to check as it’s written in GN1 and the on site guide.
[automerge]1597564072[/automerge]
702B2856-11B2-4925-9C6F-9FBE364ADB67.jpegTaken from GN1

Last edited:
When I was an apprentice, we rewired a lot of old Victorian house in Highgate London, the VIR's on some installations were surface in a wooden type channel which you could physical see them lying in.
Trunking?

When I was an apprentice, we rewired a lot of old Victorian house in Highgate London, the VIR's on some installations were surface in a wooden type channel which you could physical see them lying in.
Trunking?
Capping and casing lots of it in Bath back when I were a Lad.

Trunking?

Capping and casing, you don't see much of it these days.

It was an acceptable equivalent to trunking at the time, kind of the original mini-trunking.

Technically it was new TaE as it was a rewire job + new consumer unit

Did not look like it to me as the T&E was connected into the existing CU.

It also did not look as though he had left 65% of that Kopex vacant, thanks Ian for the GN1 guide which confirms that T&E is taken as the diameter of the major axis of the cable, it also mention diameter includes insulation and sheath, so seems to imply that T&E can be installed in conduit.

Last edited:

Reply to Flexible Conduit (N.Bundy job) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net