Discuss Advice on MCB size please - domestic shower cct in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Best practice rules here , Dont take crap off customers who winge at the cost as its your --- next if all goes wrong . Hes employing you to do it right not DIY it as before , If he dosent like whats best then walk ! , Its suprising how good it feels & i bet he calls you back .

I'll use Ref B then - what would be the minimum permitted length of cable within trunking before factors need to be applied?

Let’s summarise here
All this is only considering the installation method, the regulations, my thoughts.
This does not consider volt drop or any other applicable derating factors.

Cable run 15m of 6mm[SUP]2[/SUP] T&E all installed to reference method B (in my opinion)
Shower 9.6kW @ 230V or 10.5kW @ 240V
Protection device not yet selected.

CCC for 6mm[SUP]2[/SUP] multicore 70[SUP]o[/SUP]C
Ref B 38A
Ref C 46A

Current demand of an instantaneous water heater (no diversity permitted)
9.6kW @ 230V I=P/V = 41.7A
10.5kW @ 240V I=P/V = 43.75A

So in order to carry a current of maximum 43.75A then a 6mm[SUP]2[/SUP] cable must be installed to reference method C and cannot be installed to reference method B.

Questions you have:

Can I use a 45A MCB?

For the shower as an appliance and if the cable were suitable – Yes
For 6mm[SUP]2[/SUP] T&E installed to Ref method B – No (also you cannot use a 40A MCB)
For 6mm[SUP]2[/SUP] T&E installed to Ref method C – Yes

What is the maximum length of trunking before derating is required?

The regulations do not state a minimum length before derating is applied.
You could possibly consider as an electrician that the regulations do give variable derating factors for different lengths of cable in insulation. If you were to apply the same considerations to trunking this would mean that full derating is applied if the length is greater than 50cm. As your length is 200cm full derating would apply.

Solutions available:
Use the 6mm[SUP]2[/SUP] cable as a pulling wire to draw 10mm[SUP]2[/SUP] cable in to replace it, use a 45A MCB, upgrade bonding.

Decide that under the floor is reference method C, remove the trunking, use the existing cable, use a 45A MCB, upgrade bonding.

Read the manufacturers instructions and decide if they specify that you can use any other method of safe installation as these would override the wiring regulations.

alternatively, change the shower unit for one with a sensible KW rating. e.g. 8KW.

Replacing the Shower would be my pref choice - customer not having it, but all i can do is state all the possible options I have available.

Richard Burns - Thankyou for taking the time out to give such a detailed asnswer. Much appreciated.

Reply to Advice on MCB size please - domestic shower cct in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock