Discuss Age of those who can build a control panel and control a process in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you build control systems? If so, how old are you?

• Total voters
I *did* it all at college, and wouldn't feel apprehensive about tackling it again now despite the years in between, but the reality of actually being asked is remote. The South West isn't exactly a buzzing hub of manufacturing installations.

I wouldn't know where to begin programming a PLC, but it's something I'd like to learn about. Same with most things - I can't think of anything worse than just going around doing domestic remedials and alterations like some kind of glorified van driver.
I don't know if it's necessarily a case of the skill dying out - it seems to me a lot of people entering the trade with a fixed idea of only doing domestic are older, having previously been in other occupations.

The thing is panel building is no more difficult than wiring a house, IF you have the information, and the design, OK it's a bit different, but no more difficult, different yes.
I have done both.
However, panel design, and thus design of control systems is something completely different.
I would wager that almost all "normal" electricians/electrical contractors are not even insured for that work.

I added machine control systems and 3phase to my PLI and it tripled it .... most dabblers out there are non competent and not covered without even knowing they aint, so many times i've asked the customer to check the sparkies coverage they use and all of a sudden they are history lol ....quickest way to win a customer IMHO

I wouldn't know where to begin programming a PLC, but it's something I'd like to learn about. Same with most things - I can't think of anything worse than just going around doing domestic remedials and alterations like some kind of glorified van driver.
I don't know if it's necessarily a case of the skill dying out - it seems to me a lot of people entering the trade with a fixed idea of only doing domestic are older, having previously been in other occupations.

Crouzet Automatismes - M3 Soft Download
Download this and and have a play its easy to pick up simple programs ... its gets very complex though very quickly

Software is a great forefront ...and can give a full matrix, the idea being program inputs to program outputs...we can time them, nor, and or nand them.
But unless we follow old school mechanical/electrical safety devices, and these features can only be taught by experience. System can be dangerous as the designers ...

writing a program is not difficult but incorporating all possible safety measures can drive a program designer a bit daft.
you have to be so careful with your program to make sure the walking brain farts don't earn a darwin award ( by all means stupidity must be protected) (most normal workers have the common sense not to mess with stuff)

Am 41 now but covered basic ladder logic etc during apprenticeship.

Did some panel building for a while but always to a spec. With the exception of some VERY basic stuff.

No design skills whatsoever and haven't done any of the above for a good few years now.

Apprenticeships Are oinly for 4 years not long enough to teach everything from scratch and so are biased towards whatever the company employing you needs you to do.

I would say it is quite exceptional to have a good grounding in all aspects of electrical work and those who have it have worked long and damned hard to get it and should be able to charge accordingly.

The kind of work being discussed here is not run of the mill stuff and by nature will be down to relatively few sparks.

Consequently more susceptible to skill shortage.

I'm not convinced this is a new phenomenon TBH.

Not built any control panels for a few years now at one time built a lot of control panels for Pilkington's that were shipped all over the world for the float glass plants they supported quite interesting labelling and legending panels in foreign languages and checking and double checking to make sure they functioned as the labels and legends stated

Why would I want the control panel wireman to write the PLC software?

Why would I want the control panel designer to physically build the panel?

My own background is PLC/DCS software design, writing and commissioning, and general control system design including panel and safety system design. The companies I've worked for either had a panel shop or subbed it out. There are a million panel bashing companies out there.

Likewise with the installation, we design it in-house and sub out the supply and install.

I don't think its a dying industry, in fact there seems to be loads of work out there at the minute.

I'm 44 BTW....

As a poll result, yep to all and I'm over 50 -- nearer to the 60 end but Im not giving exacts away!!.

Though it may take me some time to get back into the swing of things and my sware programming skills are probably pretty rusty'ish now! I can still remember some ADA 83 code ......

One thing I learnt very early on. Production muppets are a bloody site more inventive than me. If there’s way to screw a machine up, they’ll find it.

I'm 46. Wired panels in the past, but mainly design them now. Still like to wire them up every now and then.
I have done some PLC programming but only with AB stuff. Other guys at work do the programming of our PLC's.
Done some safety training as well.

Im 21, working in the utilities industry, doing maintenance I currently make small control panels for small processes, I can program low level PLCs like your Zelios (Primarily schneider gear) and to high level structured text on M340, with a little help on the more complex control. Safety systems am I ok at to a basic level I usually have to ask for a bit of guidance on how more complicated panels/systems should be setup which the more mature guys help with. Ive got miles more to learn in my field of instruments and automation. But love all of it.

There's nothing to fear for the future.

The Internet will come to the rescue with forums;

How to Design and build control panels in 5 weeks.

How to program PLCs in 5 weeks.

How to design safety systems in 5 weeks.

The 5 weeks was just an arbitrary figure plucked from nowhere, it may be more or less in reality.

Over 45 but under 50, done most things listed at one time or another, worked for a couple of multi-national panel builders at different times, worked in a car plant for a while, only stuff I haven't done is the big stuff like what Tony and Rob has, nor managed large projects like E54, not qualified nor insured enough to actually design SIL systems like Netblind Paul or DW, but have wired them up as per spec and some fault finding experience with them, nothing on HV, nor hazardous stuff, I have done some fairly basic PLC programming. Also some testing and commissioning of switch gear, oh! and a bit domestic lol.

Always eager to learn more, I tend to stay in my comfort zone these days, I know my limitations and when I need outside expertise for either legislative reasons, or simply because I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
Every day is still a school day.

Over 45 but under 50, done most things listed at one time or another, worked for a couple of multi-national panel builders at different times, worked in a car plant for a while, only stuff I haven't done is the big stuff like what Tony and Rob has, nor managed large projects like E54, not qualified nor insured enough to actually design SIL systems like Netblind Paul or DW, but have wired them up as per spec and some fault finding experience with them, nothing on HV, nor hazardous stuff, I have done some fairly basic PLC programming. Also some testing and commissioning of switch gear, oh! and a bit domestic lol.

Always eager to learn more, I tend to stay in my comfort zone these days, I know my limitations and when I need outside expertise for either legislative reasons, or simply because I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
Every day is still a school day.

OP only asked your age bracket :smartass2:.... but as you name dropped me Ill say I enjoyed the post lol

Reply to Age of those who can build a control panel and control a process in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net