Discuss Age of those who can build a control panel and control a process in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you build control systems? If so, how old are you?

• Total voters
There's nothing to fear for the future.

The Internet will come to the rescue with forums;

How to Design and build control panels in 5 weeks.

How to program PLCs in 5 weeks.

How to design safety systems in 5 weeks.

The 5 weeks was just an arbitrary figure plucked from nowhere, it may be more or less in reality.

It’s only a 3 day add on to the domestic installer course for industrial.

I don't post on this forum very often but I do have a browse every now and then. This topic caught my eye, Mr Skelton, you are correct, it only seems to be the old boys that have any experience at this type of thing and very few of the younger lads including so called engineers who's excuse is always, "the computer says it'll be ok". Yes but your computers not installing it is it you stupid boy!

Myself, I am 34 and I can say that I am competent in putting together a control panel complete with beta duct of various sizes laid out appropriately to accommodate relays, contactors, em stops, LCD displays, TC's etc etc.

Panels with 110v, 24v, 48v with different coloured insulation for different voltages all in the same panel no problems.

I can wire all of this from drawings and terminate using the correct crimps (or ferrules depending on where your from) bootlace crimps, pin crimps, hook crimps etc. Complete with cable idents on all cores. The back plate earthed to the panel etc. And, and this is a big AND, no pen marks on the back plate. How many times have you seen a plate that has been marked out using a big black sharpie and when it is complete, the first thing you see when you open the panel door is black bloody lines everywhere!

I am not much good a PLC work but it's easy enough with instructions.

I'd probably suck at wiring a house, I'd be too slow to make any money.

Lee, yeah me to mate, I'd spend the first day looking round, drinking tea planning the job. The second day getting the gear together and the third day, well there probably wouldn't be a third day as I'd have been binned!!

I once worked with a house basher and I asked him how long to wire a 3 bed semi, "one day"!!

Ben

The results of this poll are pretty alarming to be honest!

That said, mega bucks in years to come in this side of the industry! Supply and demand!

I don't post on this forum very often but I do have a browse every now and then. This topic caught my eye, Mr Skelton, you are correct, it only seems to be the old boys that have any experience at this type of thing and very few of the younger lads including so called engineers who's excuse is always, "the computer says it'll be ok". Yes but your computers not installing it is it you stupid boy!

Myself, I am 34 and I can say that I am competent in putting together a control panel complete with beta duct of various sizes laid out appropriately to accommodate relays, contactors, em stops, LCD displays, TC's etc etc.

Panels with 110v, 24v, 48v with different coloured insulation for different voltages all in the same panel no problems.

I can wire all of this from drawings and terminate using the correct crimps (or ferrules depending on where your from) bootlace crimps, pin crimps, hook crimps etc. Complete with cable idents on all cores. The back plate earthed to the panel etc. And, and this is a big AND, no pen marks on the back plate. How many times have you seen a plate that has been marked out using a big black sharpie and when it is complete, the first thing you see when you open the panel door is black bloody lines everywhere!

I am not much good a PLC work but it's easy enough with instructions.

Lee, yeah me to mate, I'd spend the first day looking round, drinking tea planning the job. The second day getting the gear together and the third day, well there probably wouldn't be a third day as I'd have been binned!!

I once worked with a house basher and I asked him how long to wire a 3 bed semi, "one day"!!

Ben
3 bed semi?

im guessing that is without making good or all surface stickyback minitrunking

There was an old fella who was from shrewsbury who was in his seventies he was officially retired before i started, but our company took him out of retirement every six months or so to come back over to ireland to program/build robots etc but in the end he had to tell us he was definetly retiring ( i still remember him racing out of the yard in his big jag to catch the ferry), he is replaced now with a young gun in his sixties

I don't think this is just about building, building is the easy bit, really, the design aspect of the systems is the most onerous, the panel layout is secondary, and the build is straight forward.
It is only the first two that require any design input, the last is just like working from the osg, & the guide to the building regs with some training.

That said, mega bucks in years to come in this side of the industry! Supply and demand!

Its kind of a biased pole anyway as its on an Electrical forum so your really asking the majority of how old are the panel builders who are or were Electricians. Now if this was a control systems forum it would read very differently I suspect.

Its kind of a biased pole anyway as its on an Electrical forum so your really asking the majority of how old are the panel builders who are or were Electricians. Now if this was a control systems forum it would read very differently I suspect.

The majority of the lads in my office range between 30 and 45. With the youngest being 24.

The majority of the lads in my office range between 30 and 45. With the youngest being 24.

Maybe it is reflective then of the true age group percentage but without a larger field pole across differing related forums Ill take the above result with a pinch of salt, all I know is we are already seeing a massive skills hole in this field due to retirement and lack of replacement - this would suggest as does the pole that no-one new is entering the field and all those working in it are too busy already to fill the retiring sector.

Maybe it is reflective then of the true age group percentage but without a larger field pole across differing related forums Ill take the above result with a pinch of salt, all I know is we are already seeing a massive skills hole in this field due to retirement and lack of replacement - this would suggest as does the pole that no-one new is entering the field and all those working in it are too busy already to fill the retiring sector.

Who is this Pole you speak of? Is he the one filling our skills hole? :icon12:

It's nothing a 5 week course can't sort out !!!!!!!! there will be someone sorting out the minimum training needed right now

28, I have done basic PLC stuff in my apprenticeship but as i work in Facilities now there is no requirement for me to do it anymore.
Work with control circuits/safety systems a bit, Have a reasonable ground understanding of them but again rarely go into them in any depth (when required ime usualy on here asking for help LOL)

But I can build basic control panels, Work on door access systems and Fire alarms and I can evem Do a tidy job with Conduits, Trunkings, SWA's and flexs.... But hardly ever touch a T&E :p

Said it before on another theread, There are many types of Electrician what type you are seems to depend on the Job you do and the experiences you have had.

46, have been designing and building control panels for 20 years, from small starters to MCC's, with Siemens, Mitsubishi, Omron and Allen Bradley programming experience

There may well be, and on paper they may be qualified. Their feet wouldn't touch the ground once on real site work.

I had one manage to bluff his way in to the first interview.
One of my tricks was to give them a quick walk round to see what they would be dealing with. Only about 15 minutes but you could gauge how they would fair if taken on. Someone that would be OK will ask questions about the kit, this one looked like a frightened rabbit.
When we got back to the office I asked if he wanted to carry on the interview. All he wanted to do was get in his car and clear off.

BTW RoB,
It was an old friend of ours PK that gave me the idea of the walk around. Although it was me that asked if I could have a quick walk around when he interviewed me, I think I got the royal tour. No one had ever asked before. At the end he asked if I’d seen anything that bothered be. I think the look on my face said it all, I was comfortable with the place.

After that I took it on board as part of the interview routine.

Hi 41, worked in extrusion lines & vacuum former's & injection molding on machines & ancillary equipment thought i was set for the long term in that field, until got made redundant, still every now & again i get to go back & remove some of the extrusion lines for a company that sells second hand machines. but i started out for myself whilst i was working at the factory & trouble i found i could earn more working for myself than i ever would working at the factory as maintenance engineer.

Like many,i have covered the areas in design,build and repair. I have worked on the large industrial and construction plant,here and abroad,mainly for myself.

More and more nowadays,i get called by lads in the job,to assist,or when things get sticky...not always as 007:icon12: sometimes,two heads are better than one...even if they're sheeps' heads...

I have always loved the chase of a problem,the more intriguing,the better,and absolutely will not stop,till i solve it.

This can not be "taught",on a course,and what i notice,more these days,is the new bloods general lack of grit.

I think those who have alluded to a future skills void,are probably on the ball,but how to pass on those skills,that many older lads on here possess,is a problem.
Some of the best learning i have absorbed,was hard earned,and at no small risk to myself,which obviously is not a benchmark for instruction.

I have no shame in being 50 last year,oldest dad in the playground :icon12: but i think we all have to accept that a huge amount of the experience we amass,leaves this earth with us.

....It's the final part of "Blade Runner",all over again....."like tears in the rain..." :icon12:

Reply to Age of those who can build a control panel and control a process in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net