Discuss Help - Placement of electrical items in Bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My first posting and hope you guys can help. I am a householder in the process of planning a refurb of our bathroom (not DIY) and putting together a wish list of what we want to have in the bathroom. The intention is that once we have got a plan together, we will order and get it professionally installed. We spent a considerable amount of time on the internet and putting together the wish list. Then, I suddenly realised that there are rules around where electrical items can be placed. There is potentially a couple of issues and hopefully you can advise. The set up is this, facing the wall in question we have a bath which is 700mm wide against the RH wall. To the left of that will be a 800mm sink and vanity unit with its centre at 730mm from the edge of the bath. The sink top is 860mm from floor level. The first question, can we fit an illuminated Mirror cabinet that is 800mm wide directly above the sink? The cabinet is a Keuco Royal L1, IP2 rating with a shaver socket inside and LED lighting. Some diagrams suggest that Zone 2 extends 600mm above a sink, fitting it at that height is impractical due to ceiling height (2000mm) and my wife would not be able to see herself in the mirror!! The official zone diagram does not show this 600mm zone above a sink.
The other potential issue is that part of the cabinet will extend into Zone 2 because of the proximity of the bath but the actual electrical connection to the cabinet would be about 730mm from the side of the bath and about 1000mm above the sink. The LED lights along the top of the cabinet would be within Zone 2. Would this be an issue considering the cabinet is only IP2 rated?
Final question, we would like to fit a WC Shower Bidet to the left of the sink unit. The WC is IP4 rated and we propose to have it fitted with its centre 800mm from the centre of the sink. I do not think this poses any problem. But I stand to be corrected. A plan of the wall in question is attached.
Thanks for reading and any advice you can give me.

Attachments

• Bathroom.pdf
    7 KB · Views: 21
if the diagrams you're looking at contain a zone 3, they are years out of date. afaik, zone 2 ends 600mm from bath or shower. so from your OP, I think youll be fine.

Zone 2 does not surround a hand basin. That diagram you saw is incorrect but has been included in manufacturers instructions for years now.

I have installed mirrors in zone 2 but you need to check you have a suitable one for this zone. They should be extra low voltage with the 230V source outside of the bathroom, usually in the loft.

Getting some electrician's quotes in at this stage will also get their design guidance and help you plan things.

For over ÂŁ800, I would find a bathroom cabinet that is suitable to be installed in Zone 2 (if thats where its going), as your choice is only IP20. IPX4 is what you need.

Biggest regrets some of my customers have had, is the things not bright enough and no demister pads.

Re the WC; similar units I've fitted I placed the isolator switch (SFCU) outside the bathroom, although the regs allows them to be installed outside zones. But then some install light switches there, so perhaps I'm being over cautious.

Thank you all for your responses, I was confused about the unofficial 600mm arc above the sink unit and most lighting websites tend to show it as part of the regulations. Midwest – I take your point about the cost of the cabinet, but I have been offered it at less than 50% of RRP as it is a display item and I wanted to make sure that it was suitable for that location before making a commitment to purchase. Were you referring to this specific cabinet re dim lights and steaming up? I will pass on your views re location of the WC isolator switch when I get around to finding an electrician. I am still a little confused about whether the cabinet will be subject to Zone 2 rules; the connection point is over 600mm from the bath but part of the cabinet with its LED’s will be within the 600mm?

Thank you all for your responses, I was confused about the unofficial 600mm arc above the sink unit and most lighting websites tend to show it as part of the regulations. Midwest – I take your point about the cost of the cabinet, but I have been offered it at less than 50% of RRP as it is a display item and I wanted to make sure that it was suitable for that location before making a commitment to purchase. Were you referring to this specific cabinet re dim lights and steaming up? I will pass on your views re location of the WC isolator switch when I get around to finding an electrician. I am still a little confused about whether the cabinet will be subject to Zone 2 rules; the connection point is over 600mm from the bath but part of the cabinet with its LED’s will be within the 600mm?

If the luminaire (if 230V supplied) is within zone 2, then it should be IPX4.

I would look around, there are multiples of suppliers for bathroom cabinets, I purchased from these guys for her indoors mirror Illuminated Bathroom Cabinets, LED Demister Bathroom Cabinets | Light Mirrors - https://www.lightmirrors.co.uk/bathroom-cabinets.html there are others.

The mirrors should have demister pads.

Midwest, thanks for the link. I will have a look for an IPX4 cabinet. Westward - Part of the luminaire (horizontal top LED strip & believed to be 12v) would encroach into Zone 2 by about 270mm

Midwest, thanks for the link. I will have a look for an IPX4 cabinet. Westward - Part of the luminaire (horizontal top LED strip & believed to be 12v) would encroach into Zone 2 by about 270mm

Its not about the end product (voltage), its about the luminaires ability to prevent ingress (of water etc). Your luminaire is fed by 230v, possibly the rest is extra low voltage. Just cos there's just a bit of it in that zone, don't change a thing. And you need to take account of manufactures instructions.

Reply to Help - Placement of electrical items in Bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock