Discuss Metal Conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mbow

Hi,

I have to use metal conduit in a domestic installation (wearhouse appartment). Im obviously going to have to do some conduit bending etc and I was hoping someone could shed some light on which conduit to use. The heavy gauge galvanised steel conduit looks a bit too heavy duty and looks tough to bend. This however is the stuff im mainly coming across while searching on the net.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

If it’s going to be on show black japanned looks good. But be careful with it the finish is easy to damage so a little pot of touch up paint will be needed.

you need a hilmor to bend steel conduit. can't do it round your knee like pvc.

if you've not got experience with steel conduit, then i suggest you get a spark in to help who is experienced with it. otherwise you'll 1. have to spend ÂŁ300 on a hilmor. 2. scrap 70% of the conduit you bend wrong.

Where abouts are you? I have a hilmor you can borrow.... not been used in over a year but still servicable. If your anywhere round cheshire you could borrow it and have a go first if you like.

But TBH as above you may be best getting someone in. After college and my AM2 i didnt touch conduit for a few years, then did it solid for about 2 years and it took me a while to get back into it (and a few waisted lengths). You will also end up shelling out on stocks and dies which IIRC are about ÂŁ100+

if you've not got experience with steel conduit, then i suggest you get a spark in to help who is experienced with it. otherwise you'll 1. have to spend ÂŁ300 on a hilmor. 2. scrap 70% of the conduit you bend wrong.

I haven't done any conduit since college and I've been worrying about what I'll do if I need to install some! Hiring in someone with the skills and equipment already didn't occur to me. I'll stick with me 2391 and leave serious metal work to the pros!

You've taken a load off my mind, cheers :cheesy:

the other point is that if you dont have a go now, when will you learn? Id borow the bender that the earlier lad offered, along with some stocks and dies, and have a go. It really isnt hard.

Black nail varnish, it even comes with a nice little brush. Still, it's better touching up black rather than scrapping galv because you've gone through the Zinc.
How did you find this out ? Is your partner a goth or did you have some spare one day. lol :)

I have a couple of Hillmores in the stores gathering dust, not had steel tube job for ages, as others have said depending where you are your welcome to blow the dust off one if your feeling brave going for it yourself but I would recomend getting another sparks in even for labour to do the tubework there's loads looking for work and you will get some free training.

Steel conduit is only difficult to do if you have loads of stuff to set around; cutting and threading straight lengths into inspection boxes is easy, 90 degree angles aren't too difficult (you could get the bend right, then cut it down and thread it to fit), and if you're setting out to each accessory, after you've had a few goes you should have it down to a reasonable standard.
A bit of careful planning should reduce the number of bends you have to form.

Don't worry too much about scratching the zinc; that's why God created cold galv spray.

if using galv you could use that hammerite paint which comes in various colours if they want the galv as a feature and use angles and thrus as adam says to give a more industrial look if thats there thang''

Reply to Metal Conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net