Discuss notifiable or not -for scottish sparks mainly... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm pulling my hair out trying to get a definitive answer for the following query.

I'm trying to upgrade mcbs in a board and that we have been told are underated so I'm swopping 32 for 40a breakers along with changing faulty sockets,fitting blanks to the front CU's,sealing up holes in CU's that have been deemed IP2x and resolving faults such as no continuity/high continuity.

The company that did the EICR's and flagged up these faults say they have to come back and test/inspect the work and issue minor works certs.

I've spoken to Building control (glasgow) and I'm getting the most non committal answers you have ever heard,I think I am speaking to a non electrical guy.

So does any of the above require a minor works or is any of it notifiable ,remember its Scotland we are dealing with.

I am an electrician with city and guilds parts 1 and 2, hnc electrical engineering and Nebosh, but not part of any scheme just a lowly maintenance guy working 20 hrs a week supplementing his pension...

You dont have to be a member of a scam to issue certs in Scotland but you should have your 17th edition and your test and inspect.
A minor works should be issued and the EICR repeated once the defects are resolved.
Why was the EICR required in the first place?
It dosent look like you can do an EICR with the qualifications you have so it looks like you may have to get the origional company back.
Why are you changing 32A MCBs for 40A?

You dont have to be a member of a scam to issue certs in Scotland but you should have your 17th edition and your test and inspect.
A minor works should be issued and the EICR repeated once the defects are resolved.
Why was the EICR required in the first place?
It dosent look like you can do an EICR with the qualifications you have so it looks like you may have to get the origional company back.
Why are you changing 32A MCBs for 40A?
Eicr's are required as its serviced accommodation ie rented accommodation for 1 night or however many you want.
I'm not doing the EICR's they have been done the faults are C2"'s flagged by the company
They said the shower was underrated ( i havnt been able to confirm the shower rating yet)
FWIW I'm changing like for like at the board but upgraded,like for like sockets that are broken and solving faults

You need a minor works for the replacement MCBs as you need to check that the loop impedance is suitable and you need the EICR for the reasons you stated.
You cant issue these certs without current regs and test and inspect qualifications, so you will have to get someone who is qualified to issue the certs.

You need a minor works for the replacement MCBs as you need to check that the loop impedance is suitable and you need the EICR for the reasons you stated.
You cant issue these certs without current regs and test and inspect qualifications, so you will have to get someone who is qualified to issue the certs.
aye,will have to get them back although it all just seems like a money generating exercise for the company who have already been paid for 25 EICR's, they recommended changing boards where the mcb's needed upgraded.
and I've just looked out the IEE reg book I had when serving my time, 13th edition.....

The requirements for testing and EICR etc are part of the Wiring regs, so you need to be up to the latest standards - which is 18th edition, realistically you can't prove this without passing the C&G or equivalent. Obviously best also to have the latest testing qualifications, but not completely necessary if you have a previous testing qualification and the latest regs.

The requirements for notification are part of the building regulations and in Scotland is more about the type of property and location of the work than the actual work. (Although this does to a small extent come into it).

See the attached extract from the building regulations for guidance.

Basically work on flats is more controlled than work on a detached house.

You can notify the local authority yourself, but this must be ahead of the work, they may accept your qualifications within the warrant, or perform the tests themselves, within the cost of the warrant.

If you are within a scheme, then they can provide notification after the work is done without the need to pre-obtain a warrant.

A scheme will have it's own entry criteria
Whis is usually ÂŁÂŁÂŁ

Attachments

• 2106.pdf
    81.9 KB · Views: 1
The requirements for testing and EICR etc are part of the Wiring regs, so you need to be up to the latest standards - which is 18th edition, realistically you can't prove this without passing the C&G or equivalent. Obviously best also to have the latest testing qualifications, but not completely necessary if you have a previous testing qualification and the latest regs.

The requirements for notification are part of the building regulations and in Scotland is more about the type of property and location of the work than the actual work. (Although this does to a small extent come into it).

See the attached extract from the building regulations for guidance.

Basically work on flats is more controlled than work on a detached house.

You can notify the local authority yourself, but this must be ahead of the work, they may accept your qualifications within the warrant, or perform the tests themselves, within the cost of the warrant.

If you are within a scheme, then they can provide notification after the work is done without the need to pre-obtain a warrant.

A scheme will have it's own entry criteria
Whis is usually ÂŁÂŁÂŁ
building control sent me through those extracts , Building control guy said they are nor prescriptive either
I'm not doing any EICR's or testing its already done, I'm replacing mcb's and sockets .I'm just a bit frustrated as the guy who did 25 EICR's is not consistent with his testing and has flagged up issues on some apartments and not others and basically all 25 are identical apart from being on different floors and different sides of the building....Its going to get to the stage where I cant change a light bulb or look in the meter cupboard.....

building control sent me through those extracts , Building control guy said they are nor prescriptive either
I'm not doing any EICR's or testing its already done, I'm replacing mcb's and sockets .I'm just a bit frustrated as the guy who did 25 EICR's is not consistent with his testing and has flagged up issues on some apartments and not others and basically all 25 are identical apart from being on different floors and different sides of the building....Its going to get to the stage where I cant change a light bulb or look in the meter cupboard.....
But if you are changing 32A mcbs for 40A, then you must test to ensure Zs is met.

And yes building control can be a bit flexible in their interpretation!

Reply to notifiable or not -for scottish sparks mainly... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net