Discuss V Phase Install in domestic property - possibly against regs - your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craig1000

Hi All,

Wondering peoples thoughts on the V Phase units?

We have been asked by a company to install one but upon receipt of the unit and going over install guide the suggested circuits that can be installed on it are sockets and lighting pretty much.

IF as they suggest in their configuration you do it it would mean all sockets and all lighting in a house being protected by means of a single RCD.

I believe this would be in contravention of Reg 314.1 (1) - Division of installation - avoid danger and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault.

Wondering what you think in terms of the regs?

After some research it is clear to see that the units them selves are a load of old tosh in a domestic property.

Dillb - Yep I know that and I agree they are crap and we are binning the job and any further work offered for them - us as everyone on here operate on morals and we cannot install a piece of crap.

It was just thoughts on the regs side of things I was wondering others views on as the install guide suggeststhe unit covers one side of an 17th edition compliant dual RCD DB and then all socket and lighting circuits are then put on it.

Welcome to the V-Phase appreciation club.

I was recently pointed in the direction of industrial sized units (up to 1.5MVA). Marketed as cutting edge technology, I found the same thing in an 80 year old Stubbs Electrical Encyclopaedia. Guess what? It got slated back then.

PS
I’ve got the UK rights for the snake oil, Trev, the smoke and mirrors.

I was just about to offer some for sale to his potential client Tony. I thought we were 50/50 on the whole shebang mate?

Only being rolled out as a trial at the moment by Electricity North West CLASS - Customer Load Active System Services but this could make all these V-Phase things a waste of time

First time I'd heard of this.

It'll be interesting to see whether voltage reduction on the distribution network will have a large enough effect. Many loads nowadays are effectively constant load (or thermostatically controlled) rather than resistive. So reducing the supply voltage will have little effect. For example, most electronic devices contain switch mode power supplies (constant load) as do LED light fittings (I think).

Only being rolled out as a trial at the moment by Electricity North West CLASS - Customer Load Active System Services but this could make all these V-Phase things a waste of time

What a load of bo**ox!
We will install the equipment to regulate voltage, it’s already there! Every 33/11KV primary sub has OLTC equipment.

I lowered the voltage on a 80MVA system. Took me all of three minutes to flick four switches and adjust a pot. Caused nothing but trouble with overloads.

Have a look for ENW C2C scheme. To quote the MD of a company on this tariff, “we’ve saved money on our energy bill, we’re now looking to install a generator for the off grid time.”

Reply to V Phase Install in domestic property - possibly against regs - your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net