Discuss Industrial/Commercial Inspection/Test Engineers advice please in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if I can ask a regs question please.
Over the past few years Ive been doing more and more Light Industrial and commercial PIRs/EICRs on light industrial and commercial premises.
My problem is that I`m no spring chicken anymore and working nights and weekends is no where near as easy as it was even 10 years ago.
So now Im thinking about how to reduce these lates. None of these places are big enough to have maintenence sparks on site, just small units, you know the type, potters, wood turners, small machining factories, offices, that sort of stuff.
Without a competent person on site all the time is it possible to forgo these 3/5 yearly Inspection and tests and replace them with regular visits ( say every 6 months or so) by me and sampling circuits, testing RCDs, Zs readings etc etc and visual obviously or does this require a competent person on site at all times.

Advice from experienced Industrial guys would be appreciated

It is quite common to break a PIR up into 20% parts over a five year period for large premesis.

20% each year fulfills the requirement to have the installation tested every five years as by the time you complete the final 20% the five yearly date will be up.

As long as everything is agreed between parties & clearly documented all is well.

It is quite common to break a PIR up into 20% parts over a five year period for large premesis.

20% each year fulfills the requirement to have the installation tested every five years as by the time you complete the final 20% the five yearly date will be up.

As long as everything is agreed between parties & clearly documented all is well.

Lenny thank you for that, Im aware of the 20% yearly testing its just that I have heard somewhere or another that regular visuals and basic Zs testing rcds etc can get rid of the need for a full PIR. A full insp/test on the first visit is a must in my book but what Im trying to do is reduce the weekend/nights. 20% testing would in effect just spread them out, some of these places are working 16 hours a day so I get free run of the place at weekends or between 10pm and 6 am. And I really am VERY old (46)

If you come across any faults with a 20% test, I think you then have to do a full test if Im not mistaken. It also depends on what the insurance company requires, I know places that have not been tested in years

Regulation 622.2 Page 195:

"In the case of an installation under an effective management system for preventive maintenance in normal use, periodic inspection and testing may be replaced by an adequate regime of continuous monitoring and maintenance of the installation and all its constituent equipment by skilled persons, competent in such work. appropriate records shall be kept."

Regulation 622.2 Page 195:

"In the case of an installation under an effective management system for preventive maintenance in normal use, periodic inspection and testing may be replaced by an adequate regime of continuous monitoring and maintenance of the installation and all its constituent equipment by skilled persons, competent in such work. appropriate records shall be kept."

Your a star . cheers mate

Regulation 667.23.57 electricians over the age of 46 shall be taken out of service at the first opportunity.
Regulation 667.23.57.1 any electrician still found to be serviceable shall be confined to the nearest public hostelry.

It makes sense to for a small industrial unit to have an outside electrician under contract that knows the units machinery and installation. A contract that calls for all records (legal or otherwise) to be made and kept on the factories premises. a PIR or what ever they are called now, wouldn't i think be needed on a regular basis but would make an initial good starting point for any such contract.

It would depend how often that the present machinery and/or installation gives rise to problems as to how often inspection visits would be based , along with unplanned call-outs. So if you present this idea to your clients, i would first draw up a schedule of what you propose to include in any such contract.

And don't forget there is always going to be a fair bit of paperwork that's going to be involved. So don't enter into this, without putting a good deal of thought!!

Last edited by a moderator:
weas a company test various sizes some id recomend annual tests due to use abuse and movement of equipment
others 5 yearly tests suffice as there isnt much happens between tests ans old Engineer says a FULL PIR at start of contract would be ideal as a starting poing and make you familliar with premisis I had a PIR to do recently then an installation at same place Thank god I had done a PIR as it was an absolute pigs ear of a workshop ( built 1900s wired 1930s old rusting conduit ect ect some SWA circuits added bonded by earth clamps ect ect )

Regulation 667.23.57 electricians over the age of 46 shall be taken out of service at the first opportunity.
Regulation 667.23.57.1 any electrician still found to be serviceable shall be confined to the nearest public hostelry.

so that puts me and you in sunnyside nursing home then, tony. LOL.

Thanks for the advise guys, it appreciated. I would never suggest putting any client onto a continuous maintainance contract without 1st having carried out a full check and obviously the time between these inspections would vary dependant upon the usage, environmental factors etc. Again I appreciate your advise, I tend to work on my own mostly now so a forum like this is great for me to keep up with whats happening in the industry and draw on the expertise of guys with more experience in certain fields than I have.

Last edited:

Reply to Industrial/Commercial Inspection/Test Engineers advice please in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock