Discuss Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No, it's a metal MK Sentry Consumer unit of current design. I've fitted a few.

In England and Wales (Part P 2013 and 2010 editions respectively) there should have been a notification submitted to the local authority building control that the consumer unit has been replaced. There should also be an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work (a consumer unit change requires this).

Hi @Benuk. Personally I wouldn't sign anything until you have seen the above or after one is done. You do not know the condition of the electrics and as you say, if they have lied about this then you never know what else they have done.

Its definitely not been installed prior to...………………..Just thought I'd be about the 5th member to tell the OP that :rolleyes:

OP, you could do a search on your local authority web site, to see if the new consumer unit change has been notified to them at that address. Such as you can for planning permissions, building regs approval on building work (thats if you reside in England & Wales). If it had been installed complying with Part P Building regs, it will be listed on the LBC web site. Not that will get you the required certification, but its a starting point.

cynic in me says maybe the new CU is there to make the installation lookt he dog's bollox, but behind the walls there could be the pig's arse. get an eicr done as a start.

Inspection and testing of electrical installations has been required by the "wiring regulations" since 1882, the first edition, it is there, I have a copy.
Certification has been required since the 14th Edition, my version is 1970.
Notification of such changes to Building Control under Building Regulations requirements has been necessary since 2005.
BS EN 61439-3 was published on the 31st May 2012.
So it seems that the property developer has not done his homework.
One word of caution, if you get an EICR done before purchase, then you will be purchasing the house with the known defects, thus you will have no legal recourse, I've just been there with a house purchase I was involved with.
If you get it done after, and it can be proven that false information was furnished to the solicitors/as a legal document, then you would have legal recourse.
It's an awkward situation, but either way it is difficult to decide, and prove.

No, it's a metal MK Sentry Consumer unit of current design. I've fitted a few.

In England and Wales (Part P 2013 and 2010 editions respectively) there should have been a notification submitted to the local authority building control that the consumer unit has been replaced. There should also be an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work (a consumer unit change requires this).
You must be fun on a date night out hun ;o))))

You must be fun on a date night out hun ;o))))

I think I've said before... my favourite topics of conversation are complex technical problems and hearing stories and anecdotes from people I can learn from. That and the obvious small talk around personal interests and such (I like to know what makes people tick).

The obvious sexism you exhibit aside (which I think is you just flexing your male ego to be one of the lads - which I don't really have a problem with as I find a lot of male posturing quite funny), I think you and I could have a right good chat.

I think I've said before... my favourite topics of conversation are complex technical problems and hearing stories and anecdotes from people I can learn from. That and the obvious small talk around personal interests and such (I like to know what makes people tick).

The obvious sexism you exhibit aside (which I think is you just flexing your male ego to be one of the lads - which I don't really have a problem with as I find a lot of male posturing quite funny), I think you and I could have a right good chat.
I am not sexist, I am a European male of Polish heritage and am a gentleman, I have been taught to treat women with the utmost respect and to some how put them on a pedastal (might be a tad tough with a 18 stone Welsh lass), seeing you are a downtrodden Welsh lass you tar all males with the same brush, you really need a "proper" man in your life ;o))))

Funnily enough I was bought up with women, most of my friends are women (No I am not gay) so I know the secrets........

As you said, I'd reckon we could have a right laugh on a night out, sleep tight ---

:D
(might be a tad tough with a 18 stone Welsh lass),
Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
mmm, swd so what are you saying.:D

might be a tad tough with a 18 stone Welsh lass

You shouldn't have any problems with me then as I'm not that big :D

seeing you are a downtrodden Welsh lass you tar all males with the same brush, you really need a "proper" man in your life ;o))))

Don't have time for any man in my life. Have too many things I want to do and most of them involve being somewhat anti-social.

Reply to Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock