Discuss Bubble Bursts on those installing Solar Thermodynamics in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting advert in today's Sun from PV Company. They are claiming 80% savings on gas usage....Plus a definite RHI Payment for 20 years...

thermo ad002 (2).jpg

Definitely one to send to REAL no argument what they are claiming - ESPECIALLY after we all got the email from MCS about them sitting on the fence. (Easiest way to get splinters :) )

OK lets look at the claims:
Reduce gas bills by up to 80% - Unlikely - depends what you spend on water / heating - but then it does say UP TO.
Provides 100% of hot water requirments - Probably true.
Provides Free Hot Water day and Night 365 days a year - FALSE - it's a Heat pump it has a CoP of -- something so need electricity to run.
Heat Hot water to 55 degrees constantly - Prossibly true, though an a cold winters day with large useage of water, it'll struggle same as a boiler does!
Operates in all weathers down to -15 degrees - Probably true though the CoP will go through the floor - Definitely NOT FREE!
Maintenance Free - NO - it's just like your cars aircon - it will need re-charging at some point.
Fast Payback Period - Probably True
Qualifies for RHPP and RHI Scheme - Possibly the first - The second no-one knows ...
Lightweigt Panels Can be Fitted on Wall - True.

SO IF YOU WANT TO STOP THIS IT'S EASY!!

If you've read the REAL code, you'll find you are very unlilely to get certified if you've ever had an ASA ruling against you :)

So ignore REAL and MCS, report:

G & S Ltd T/A Electricity For Free
18b Wellington Road,
Glasgow
G64 2SA
Phone: 0141 772 7675

report them to the ASA with the MCS Covering letter and that should kill the advert straight away..
Make a complaint - Advertising Standards Authority
and
Step 1 - Advertising Standards Authority

You will ususally be contacted within 48 hours - they do start action pretty swiftly.

p.s. It only needs ONE complainant, and do it as a member of the public, not as a competitor :)

I'm finding this thread fascinating as I have come up against salesmen from two of the large national pv companies that are now moving body and soul into ThermoDynamics. Both instances were in the last two days.

First one was an end terraced house on mains gas with combi boiler. Two pensioners using no more than £60 per month for gas. This also covered their cooking. Washing machine cold fed....so the amount they were spending on hot tap water can't have been more than £20. Salesman recommended a 250 ltr system for £8500 and said they could earn as much as £1200 a year from RHI.

Second was a large three storey house with 15 year old boiler and hot water tank. Also on mains gas and spending £110 per month on gas. Different salesman. Different company. Recommended a 250 ltr system again this time for £11500. But could do a deal for £9500. Again pushed the RHI.

What was interesting for me is that these were both Internet leads for PV Solar NOT Solar Thermal yet in both cases the sales reps went gung ho for thermodynamic panels. Guess where the big commission cheques are.

Like a lot of the guys here we are staying clear and just watching from the side lines for now.......

And as an aside.....surely a 4kwp system backed up with an Immersun Unit is a much better and more secure bet than any ThermoDynamic panel regardless of whatever RHI is agreed

I am not in the UK so MCS or other grants do not concern me, I know the prices quoted above are nothing short of Theft.

If we want to we can Supply, Install and Commission this panel, with a 280 litre stainless steel cylinder with a coil for back up heating or solid fuel stove (not a mild steel cylinder) for under €5,500.00 including V.A.T.

Do they work? Yes.

Do they work as most appear to claim? No.

I very rarely see any mention of the built in immersion heater that the installer can't disable.

We spent a lot of money researching this system and refused the agency.

The facts are on the Microgeneration web site under News and Events

Appears it is possible to legally continue until 19/11/2012

Reply to Bubble Bursts on those installing Solar Thermodynamics in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net