Discuss DIY Installation Help - I'm looking to install 2x 5ft LED batten lights (45w) along with a wall switch and 2x double wall sockets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The physical size of the heater doesn't dictate its power rating, if your solar system is rated at 600W then your heater will need a power rating of less than this.

Do you have the power rating of the treadmill and exercise bike?
[automerge]1592900323[/automerge]

Assuming the output of the inverter is properly protected for overload and short circuit then there would be no point installing addition fuse or mcb protection.

An RCD will only work if one pole of the output of the inverter is connected to earth permanently and reliably. In my opinion for such a small inverter it would be safe enough, if the installation is designed suitably, not to do this and keep it as an electrically seperate system.

I can find out the power rating for bike later this eve. Just sold the treadmill as it was s***. I may purchase another but for time being I'm going to stick to road running.

From speaking to the company where I plan to purchase the Solar kit from, they have assured me its a very reliable & internally protected inverter so I'm confident it should be fine to run the lights/ipod dock safely.

Hang on, hang on... but I've just looked up the typical power usage of a treadmill... it's like 1.5kW !

So, throwing some numbers at this... your proposed solution will have an AGM battery rated at 95Ah... giving a usable capacity of about 30Ah, being 360Wh... so assuming that no other power is used... just the treadmill... a fully charged battery will run the treadmill for about 24 minutes...

Adding in the fan (30W), the lights (45W), iPod speakers (10W)... I reckon you'll be lucky to get 20 mins of workout time...

All of this assumes that you're not doing it at midday with the sun blasting those panels of course.

Solution re-think needed I reckon... more AGM batteries ? Lifepo4 ? Portable Lifepo4 solution ?

Hang on, hang on... but I've just looked up the typical power usage of a treadmill... it's like 1.5kW !

So, throwing some numbers at this... your proposed solution will have an AGM battery rated at 95Ah... giving a usable capacity of about 30Ah, being 360Wh... so assuming that no other power is used... just the treadmill... a fully charged battery will run the treadmill for about 24 minutes...

Adding in the fan (30W), the lights (45W), iPod speakers (10W)... I reckon you'll be lucky to get 20 mins of workout time...

All of this assumes that you're not doing it at midday with the sun blasting those panels of course.

Solution re-think needed I reckon... more AGM batteries ? Lifepo4 ? Portable Lifepo4 solution ?

Ah shoot, sorry mate! I'll base the 1.5kW for the bike instead ;)

I shall be ringing that company again then, and see what they can suggest, as I usually spend 2 hours a night in there. + winter months won't yield as much charge.

Yea looks like I'll be needing the 1200w system:

This then allows for a max peak draw of 1200w so I could install electric garage door If I choose to to run through the system as well - but only if I do away with the exercise bike - which I think I will now consider keeping in the house to make life easier & cheaper.

This then allows for a max peak draw of 1200w so I could install electric garage door If I choose to to run through the system as well - but only if I do away with the exercise bike - which I think I will now consider keeping in the house to make life easier & cheaper.

For an off-grid install I would make sure the garage door can be manually opened on case of power failure. Unless there's a side door.

For an off-grid install I would make sure the garage door can be manually opened on case of power failure. Unless there's a side door.

Oh yes 100%. The last electric door we had on our previous house had no other mean of entrance, so they installed a barrel that could be removed with a key, then a manual wind handle could be inserted.

I can find out the power rating for bike later this eve. Just sold the treadmill as it was s***. I may purchase another but for time being I'm going to stick to road running.

From speaking to the company where I plan to purchase the Solar kit from, they have assured me its a very reliable & internally protected inverter so I'm confident it should be fine to run the lights/ipod dock safely.

It will be fine to run the lights and an ipod Dock, they take very little current.

Be wary of salespeoples assurances, they will say anything to get your money.

You seem to have missed out the 600W output of the inverter in your calculations, so actually it won't run a 1.5kW load at all, it will trip out on overload (hopefully, or burn out if not)

A garage door opener usually only draws a small amount of power and won't be a problem as long as it isn't operating at the same time as something that uses a lot of power.

When working out how much power you need you shouldn't just add up everything you will use, you need to consider what will be using power at the same time and what will be using power seperately. You aren't going to have the garage door moving whilst both exercise machines are running, the heater is on and the fan is on!

A garage door opener usually only draws a small amount of power and won't be a problem as long as it isn't operating at the same time as something that uses a lot of power.

When working out how much power you need you shouldn't just add up everything you will use, you need to consider what will be using power at the same time and what will be using power seperately. You aren't going to have the garage door moving whilst both exercise machines are running, the heater is on and the fan is on!

Thanks davesparks,

That has actually helped my understanding a little more. I'm now feeling even more confident about installing the kit from having theses discussions.
[automerge]1592988373[/automerge]
what you need is an excercise bike in there as well. get the wife to act the part of Mr. Motivator while you run on your teadmill:
View: https://www.------------/watch/?v=186218128962607
HA! I can see my missus saying 2 words to that, first one beginning with F, second word is off.

Last edited:

Reply to DIY Installation Help - I'm looking to install 2x 5ft LED batten lights (45w) along with a wall switch and 2x double wall sockets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net