Discuss Dodgy builder and 'electrician' fined for dodgy work and using the scheme logo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I expect this bunch of blokes would not have got into as much bother if they hadnt bothered pretending to be NICEIC members and used the logo.
either way its good to see cowboys fined for shoddy work.
Copied from NICEIC website:-
TRADESMEN FINED FOR DANGEROUS ELECTRICAL WORK THAT PUT LIVES AT RISK
26/04/2019
Builder and electrician found guilty of shoddy work and falsely claiming to be registered
A builder and electrician have been fined for carrying out dangerous electrical work on a domestic property in Dudley.

Kevin John Wakefield, trading as Beta Homes Improvements and Paul Lloyd, trading as P Lloyd Electrical both pleaded guilty at Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court on 11 April to offences including a banned practice, misleading actions and professional diligence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

It followed an investigation by Dudley Council’s Trading Standards team and NICEIC.
The court heard how Wakefield was hired to build an extension and install electrics at a house in Dunns Bank, Quarry Bank in 2016. When he finished the job, the householder was plagued with problems which led to an electrical fire.

After complaints from the homeowner, Wakefield asked his ex-brother-in-law Lloyd to check the electrical work and issue the necessary certificate. Lloyd issued an Electrical Installation Certificate displaying the NICEIC logo even though he was not, and never had been, registered with the voluntary body.

The home owner continued to have issues and asked another electrician to test the electrical installation.

The electrician found a host of problems with the installation including no RCD protection on some of the circuits, and one of the circuits being considered so dangerous it had to be disconnected.

The electrician also highlighted various errors, missing information and inconsistencies with the certificate, provided by Lloyd.

NICIEC was alerted to the concerns and contacted Lloyd about the complaint. Lloyd never responded to the allegation so the matter was passed over to Dudley Trading Standards.

Wakefield, of Beeches Close, Kingswinford, was fined ÂŁ2000 also ordered to pay ÂŁ1,144 costs, ÂŁ819 compensation and a victim surcharge of ÂŁ170.

Lloyd, of Gospel Ash Road, Bobbington, was also fined ÂŁ2000 and ordered to pay ÂŁ1,144 costs, ÂŁ569 compensation and a victim surcharge of ÂŁ170.

Martin Samuels, Dudley Council’s strategic director for people, said:
“This result should be seen as a warning to any trader tempted to use logos or quality marks that they have no right to use - a practice specifically banned by law.
“In this case, shoddy electrical work could have put the residents’ safety at risk and it is right that these traders have been brought to task.”

Kevan Parker, Managing Director for Certsure which operates the NICEIC and ELECSA brands, added: “We take a dim view of those who pretend to be registered electricians when they are not.

“They pose a danger to the public and we will work with the appropriate authorities to protect those contractors who are legitimately registered and have the quality of their work assessed on a regular basis.
“Anyone thinking about using our logo fraudulently will be caught and dealt with appropriately by the courts.”

obviously niceic are more concerned about fraudulent use of their logo. the bad workmanship is a bonus. when it comes down to bad installs by their legitimately registered members, they don't want to know as losing a member's subs. is a nightmare for them.

So they commited fraud/deception and caused a house fire due to their dangerous work and they just got a fine!

As already suggested had they not used a part pee logo they may not have even been fined.

So the moral of story is, if you do dangerous/illegal electrical work that causes a fire don't use a Part Pee logo or you might get fined (what a deterrent). And some on here criticised me for not issuing a minor works cert for replacing a light switch (I despair).

So they commited fraud/deception and caused a house fire due to their dangerous work and they just got a fine!

As already suggested had they not used a part pee logo they may not have even been fined.

So the moral of story is, if you do dangerous/illegal electrical work that causes a fire don't use a Part Pee logo or you might get fined (what a deterrent). And some on here criticised me for not issuing a minor works cert for replacing a light switch (I despair).

You did what?!?
That’s worse than me still using red & black cable

You did what?!?
That’s worse than me still using red & black cable
what other colours are available. I'm getting low on red/black stock. can't seem to find anywhere.

just found on ebay. selling for ÂŁ120- ÂŁ200 /100m. Jeez.

Last edited:
what other colours are available. I'm getting low on red/black stock. can't seem to find anywhere.

I always keep an eye out for anything R/B at the local car boot fare.
Picked up some R/B 1mm and 2.5mm t&e just last weekend.
I am a sucker for anything pre-harmo

Months of time consuming investigative work probably went into proving that case only to result in a punitive conviction. Usual story, when it comes to fraud or acquisitive crime it’s not taken seriously. Probably because all the best fraudsters and con men are in government and financial services. :mad:

While I'm glad they were caught, the final sentence sums it all up:

Anyone thinking about using our logo fraudulently will be caught and dealt with appropriately by the courts.

They don't really seem to mention or care about the fact the electrical installation was so poor it led to a fire, nor that the certificate issued was done so without checking any of the work, etc. All they're concerned about is people ripping off their bloody logo. Makes me almost as angry at them as the people that did the shoddy work in the first place.

Think I might be giving the old store a check......wonder how much for single red or yellow....or R,Y,B 3 core?;)

las i got from a car boot was 10m white FP200 in red/black for ÂŁ20.
Think I might be giving the old store a check......wonder how much for single red or yellow....or R,Y,B 3 core?;)
don't think there's any demand now for lead sheathed T/E try the scrap man.

Weak sentence, makes a mockery of the Building Regulations (part p). I presume councils have neither the resources, time or knowledge to pursue these cases thoroughly, as such part p is effectively regulated by schemes for whom there's no financial gain in bringing prosecutions, unless their brand names not paid for!
How can this improve??

Red and black cable is not okay (it's dangerous), when ever I see it in someone's house I tell them they need a rewire.
Funny you mention that...

When ever I see brown/blue in someone’s house I say I can remedy this horrible issue with some nice new red/black cable

Reply to Dodgy builder and 'electrician' fined for dodgy work and using the scheme logo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock