Discuss Electrical inspections on rented properties in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Chum at work is about to try and rent out his property, does anyone know if a) an electrical inspection is mandatory before renting and what does it cover? and b) does the property need to conform to 17th edition.
I gather the most of the wiring dates back several years so he may be in for a shock (no pun intended:D)

Thanks for any help

Down2earth

I used to rent out a small 1 bed house, and used an agency to do it. All that was required is that I had a gas safety certificate done and that all electrical equipment (such as washing machine, fridge etc) get PAT tested.

There was no formal requirement to have the electrics inspected and tested!

This was nearly 3 years ago and might have changed now, but as far as I am aware, there is still no requirment to have a PIR done when renting out the propery.

I have also heard that the electrics need inspecting and testing at every change of occupancy to a premises, but according to the local estate agents in my area, that is not necessary.

Regards
Mark

Hi all,

Chum at work is about to try and rent out his property, does anyone know if a) an electrical inspection is mandatory before renting and what does it cover? and b) does the property need to conform to 17th edition.
I gather the most of the wiring dates back several years so he may be in for a shock (no pun intended:D)

Thanks for any help

Down2earth

Check with the local council as I think you need a certificate of registration from them saying it is OK or something.

See below

Letting your property : Directgov - Home and community

Last edited:
Guidance Note 3 states that:

A landlord is required to provide a tenant with an electrical installation in good condition and repair.

Its all part of the electricity at work act, one way of conforming to this is to have the installation inpected and tested on a regular basis (The recomendation is every 5 years or change of occupancy in a rented house).

You'll probably get away with not having one done, however the problems occur if anything goes wrong, i.e a fire or a tenant gets a nasty shock.

Indeed.

Im only just repeating whats already been posted, but at the moment, there is no legal requirement for PIR to be carried out on rental properties, however, the landlord has a 'duty of care' and can be prosecuted if he fails to maintain a safe installation.

Reply to Electrical inspections on rented properties in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net