Discuss Please, need advice on what testing equipment I should be looking at... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparky1983

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the trade (a 2nd year apprentice) and am not sure what testing equipment I should aim to purchase next, over others.

After having looked at my colleagues' kit and what they use, I decided to buy a Fluke T100 Voltage/Continuity Tester, Fluke 1AC II VoltAlert Voltstick and a SOK32 Socket Tester.

However, I am keen to find out what new starters generally purchase after these basic testers.

At my firm I've been involved in looking at how my colleagues do testing, but it has been like trying to understand a foreign language, and to be frank I don't learn enough at work imho (Obvious time constraints).

At college, it's the opposite end of the spectrum where I want to push on into applying the science/maths in the workshop and learning how to take measurements confidently. But it's not explained in depth there. Or not enough for me to understand. Or maybe it's a case of 'not yet'.

What I'm trying to get at is that I feel it's a case of me needing to practice in my on time (rigging up and testing circuits in my Dad's shed), and getting the relevant testing equipment.

So that's it bascially. Considering that I have a basic Voltage/Continuity tester, Voltstick and a decent Socket tester what products should be next on my list?

A clamp meter, multimeter? Specific Model?

Advice will be much appreciated:)

I guess it would really depend on what type of work you plan to do as there are lots of different types of testing equipment available.
However you do seem to have the basics.

If you are looking to test complete installations, then no doubt you will need to purchase either a multifunctional tester or seperate test instruments that will be able to complete the tests, such Insulation, Loop, RCD etc.

There are lots of different manufacturers such as Megger, Fluke, Kewtech, Metrel etc and it really is down to personal preference. Some equipment may be easier or quicker to operate than another and vice versa.

First things first, take a course in electrical testing C&G2391. That will give you an idea of what is involved and what type of equipment you will need to perform the job.

Here is a link for testing equipment sales, which will give you more information about different test instruments and manufacturers.

It is only one of many on the internet, so if you do look to purchase any kit, have a good scout around for cheaper deals.

Manufacturers - Test4Less Tester & Tool Distributor

Good luck

Warren

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the trade (a 2nd year apprentice) and am not sure what testing equipment I should aim to purchase next, over others.

After having looked at my colleagues' kit and what they use, I decided to buy a Fluke T100 Voltage/Continuity Tester, Fluke 1AC II VoltAlert Voltstick and a SOK32 Socket Tester.

However, I am keen to find out what new starters generally purchase after these basic testers.

At my firm I've been involved in looking at how my colleagues do testing, but it has been like trying to understand a foreign language, and to be frank I don't learn enough at work imho (Obvious time constraints).

At college, it's the opposite end of the spectrum where I want to push on into applying the science/maths in the workshop and learning how to take measurements confidently. But it's not explained in depth there. Or not enough for me to understand. Or maybe it's a case of 'not yet'.

What I'm trying to get at is that I feel it's a case of me needing to practice in my on time (rigging up and testing circuits in my Dad's shed), and getting the relevant testing equipment.

So that's it bascially. Considering that I have a basic Voltage/Continuity tester, Voltstick and a decent Socket tester what products should be next on my list?

A clamp meter, multimeter? Specific Model?

Advice will be much appreciated:)

you must be making a fortune. i have the basics like you and will not be spending money on anymore testing kit untill i need to do so. I rather save the money go on the lash and pull some chicks on the weekend which starts on a thursday night for me

I wonder if your reply is actually serious, lol! Not making a fortune, just living at home. My boss has said that I don't need an MFT at the moment, but I'd just prefer to learn how to use one and own it, now rather than later. It's not like I'll be buying an MFT every few months, but I can always defer ****ing my hard earned ÂŁÂŁÂŁ down the loo:) No offence, btw.

Good luck for the weekend yeah.

My boss has said that I don't need an MFT at the moment

take that advice and get a round in down the pub

I can always defer ****ing my hard earned ÂŁÂŁÂŁ down the loo:) No offence, btw.

Good luck for the weekend yeah.

we all could but what is the point? how old are you btw?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, yeah. Out of curiosity, what year of training are you in?

I'm 25 and know the pub's tempting me:)

Sounds good. I'm with small NIC firm. Although, they've agreed to pay me JIB rates so far. You worried about the Credit munch?

only if i get the boot. i dont see the point of worrying about it. as long as i can go on the lash few times a week with my pals im not fussed. you?

Well since I'm 25, if I get made redundant I'm pretty sure no other company will take me on. That's IF my firm didn't take me back when the economy got better. Which I'm hopeful they would. Basically, I'm a little worried, but trying to forget it at the same time.

What are you studying at the moment?

Well since I'm 25, if I get made redundant I'm pretty sure no other company will take me on. That's IF my firm didn't take me back when the economy got better. Which I'm hopeful they would. Basically, I'm a little worried, but trying to forget it at the same time.

What are you studying at the moment?

im 19 and the older lot on site dont bother with that train of thought

Sounds like you have a great laugh. If I'm honest with you, I don't get out enough. I left school at 18 and apart from a very short stint at uni, I've been working. I only recently got into the trades game and as my firm is v v small - 1 person my age there and not very talkative, it's not like we have an atmosphere as such. It's pretty bad, but it's work you know. If I had started when I was your age I'd probably be in a JIB firm/ big site atmosphere etc. Probably doing EXACTLY what you lot are up to.

Btw, what has your firm told you about funding for your college since you've turned 19. I'm presuming you went through JTL. If so, as far as I understand your firm will have to pay half of college fees as soon as you hit 19.

Sounds like you have a great laugh. If I'm honest with you, I don't get out enough. I left school at 18 and apart from a very short stint at uni, I've been working. I only recently got into the trades game and as my firm is v v small - 1 person my age there and not very talkative, it's not like we have an atmosphere as such. It's pretty bad, but it's work you know. If I had started when I was your age I'd probably be in a JIB firm/ big site atmosphere etc. Probably doing EXACTLY what you lot are up to
you must be sitting on a fortune if you have been earning for 7 yrs. your firm sounds dead but what about gettting smashed on the weekend and pulling girls? where do u go

Btw, what has your firm told you about funding for your college since you've turned 19. I'm presuming you went through JTL. If so, as far as I understand your firm will have to pay half of college fees as soon as you hit 19.

as i started when i was 17 near 18 everything is paid by my company. i just turn up half cut and get the work done. result.

I was working **** / min wage jobs for the most part. Your money never quite gets saved up, lol! And these were jobs where there were hardly any heads my age or nationality (retail/hospitality), if so, they didn't have the dough to go out. Hence, links have DRIED up, and weekends have dried up aswell. You don't even wanna go down the birds route, I'm not the most confident of guys. I've got to get my **** together. Where are you haunts?

Lol

There are some good deals around on the fluke 1651 MFT (or was a month or two ago) its a nice meter and will be good to get comfortable with your testing sooner rather than later:)

I was working **** / min wage jobs for the most part. Your money never quite gets saved up, lol! And these were jobs where there were hardly any heads my age or nationality (retail/hospitality), if so, they didn't have the dough to go out. Hence, links have DRIED up, and weekends have dried up aswell. You don't even wanna go down the birds route, I'm not the most confident of guys. I've got to get my **** together. Where are you haunts?

i rather be skint monday morning knowing i had a laugh and a shag on the wkend than save and stay inside. its pay day friday again

Lol

There are some good deals around on the fluke 1651 MFT (or was a month or two ago) its a nice meter and will be good to get comfortable with your testing sooner rather than later:)

ebay is a good start

I got some dough now, for sure. But let's say you left school at 18 and all your mates went off to uni, well outside your area, what would you do? To me it's felt like I've been stuck in the mud. For a long time. I'm not one to bowl into a pub and act like I know next man. I know most of them are out of it now, but most are working but never seem to be out, or let me know about it. Haha, maybe they were never party heads in the first place.

I love your confidence though, do they sell it? Lol

Reply to Please, need advice on what testing equipment I should be looking at... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock