Discuss Advise please on a new re-wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is not how I would have did it but certainly not the worst i have seen and I cant really see anything that would break regulations to be honest. Seems to be the standard of work on rewires etc when prices are low.

A bit of intumescent sealant will fix the IP issue. But rest of the installation looks fine. Some people expect everything to be returned to it's original condition after a rewire. Get a decorator in man.

A bit of intumescent sealant will fix the IP issue. But rest of the installation looks fine. Some people expect everything to be returned to it's original condition after a rewire. Get a decorator in man.

Any sealant will fix the issue, there is nothing in the regulations which requires intumescent sealant.

whilst a bit rough, if those cables are below the level of the plaster finish, you can plaster directly onto them when filling the chases.

Last edited by a moderator:
whisst a bit rough, if those cables are below the level of the plaster finish, you can plaster directly onto them when filling the chases.

Thats the whole point, they ARE NOT below the level they are flush, they CAN NOT be covered unless the whole wall is plastered to make it thicker but theres coving installed.
[automerge]1584771922[/automerge]
I have to say Im gobsmacked at the comments who see little wrong with this install. The level of workmanship is poor especially for £4500. Ive not been involved in domestic stuff for over twenty years and even back then we wouldnt have been allowed to do this by our employer.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the plaster is that thin, which is unusual, that the cables are proud, then the chase should have been deeper, cutting into the brick by a few mm.. this would have required a chase cutter with the problem of dust. without seeing it in person, difficult to make a definitive assessment. from the pics., though, those chases should have been done with a chaser coupled to a vac. the coving should not have been damaged; room for cables behind. as said before, with those vertical chases, are there sockets directly below? if not, it's a major non-compliance. google "safe cable zones" to pull up a diagram

if the plaster is that thin, which is unusual, that the cables are proud, then the chase should have been deeper, cutting into the brick by a few mm.. this would have required a chase cutter with the problem of dust. without seeing it in person, difficult to make a definitive assessment. from the pics., though, those chases should have been done with a chaser coupled to a vac. the coving should not have been damaged; room for cables behind. as said before, with those vertical chases, are there sockets directly below? if not, it's a major non-compliance. google "safe cable zones" to pull up a diagram

The plaster would cover just the cable but with the clips or the capping which is used in some areas for some reason it makes them flush with the surface of the plaster. As I say its more around the cost and what was expected for that cost. The customer has now got to get either major plaster works done and coving work or get cables channeled in further. Ive got the safe zones in the building regs and on site guide I hadnt even considered that and didnt get that far. Once I saw the install I was in complete shock if Im honest.

OP

yes it looks a bit rough , but believe me this is what a pretty standard domestic rewire will look like up and down the country

once the house is replastered and painted nobody will see the cables

i personally would over cap every cable with some plastic capping as this is how I always do it , but not everybody does
[automerge]1584774629[/automerge]
As for the cables being proud of the wall , this will become an issue and the need setting back in by 5-6mm to allow a decent amount of plaster be spread over them

i would get the electrician back to ensure all the cables are set back far enough

I have a friend who does domestic wiring unfortunately he's not local to me, I've taken his advise as well and hes gobsmacked by the workmanship and hes never seen such poor finishing. I was just surprised by it tbh. Any way it is what it is by looks of it, a rip off.

The plaster would cover just the cable but with the clips or the capping which is used in some areas for some reason it makes them flush with the surface of the plaster. As I say its more around the cost and what was expected for that cost. The customer has now got to get either major plaster works done and coving work or get cables channeled in further. Ive got the safe zones in the building regs and on site guide I hadnt even considered that and didnt get that far. Once I saw the install I was in complete shock if Im honest.

I quite agree with your comments, it is a poor install. The only reason to use cable clips and not capping or channelling, is the later is more time consuming to install. Which suggests other areas of the work, may have been conducted in the same manner.

What did the quotation say about chasing and making good afterwards? What's in the terms and conditions of the quotation? Has the invoice been paid and an EIC & Compliance Certificate been received?

@pjmale45
It sounds like you had already made up your mind that the install was 'terrible' and you just wanted evevryone to say that so you had a bit of ammunition rather than advise.

I agree with the majority of the comments, it does look rough. In parts it looks very rough and I would be completely embarrassed to put my name to it. However, just because it looks rough does not make it non-compliant with the regulations. The cables entering the top of the consumer unit are non compliant and should have not been done like that.

The electrician and owner should have had a discussion before hand about whether cables were going to be surface mounted or plastered into the wall. From your pictures it looks like a mixture of both so I'm guessing this was discussed before hand or written in the quote. If not, then your friend was a bit silly for not getting it all in writing and the electrician was unprofessional for not discussing it or writing it in their quote.

If the cables are protruding from the wall and cannot be plastered in without making a lump then this needs to be changed (unless agreed upon prior) as you would expect a chase to be made deep enough to hide the cables.

It would be best to have an adult discussion with the electrician and come to an agreement. If you cannot then you ask the electrician for their complaints procedure which all registered electricians have.

@pjmale45
It sounds like you had already made up your mind that the install was 'terrible' and you just wanted evevryone to say that so you had a bit of ammunition rather than advise.

I had made my mind up yes that it was 'terrible' because it is. I will be honest and say that I had 'expected' most people to say it was because 'it is' lol. Its just not standards Ive ever come across in my history but admitidly I rarely see house re-wires any more. The advise is of course ammunition because Im not happy with the level of workmanship in retrospect to the cost involved. I wasnt sure on regs and this is where I required most advise tbh. I 'presumed' capping was a reg as Ive never ever seen cables not capped but as I say my experience in that is limited. I was also unsure on new regs on DB's. I thought cables had to be sealed into them as part of the fire side of things, never even knew about IP ratings.
Im very grateful for advise of course I was just surprised at the level of difference in peoples opinions on it. I do really think its a shame that this kind of workmanship is almost considered as 'standard'.
Im mostly industrial wiring as I install capital machinery into Blue Chip companies and I could never get away with anything near these standards but yes thats a very different field.

What did the quotation say about chasing and making good afterwards? What's in the terms and conditions of the quotation? Has the invoice been paid and an EIC & Compliance Certificate been received?

Im very grateful for advise of course I was just surprised at the level of difference in peoples opinions on it. I do really think its a shame that this kind of workmanship is almost considered as 'standard'.
Im mostly industrial wiring as I install capital machinery into Blue Chip companies and I could never get away with anything near these standards but yes thats a very different field.

Have you any answers to my questions?

Im still waiting to see the documents with my own eyes, they certificated the install on completion bit Ive not read it yet. The home owner would not have known anything about the requirements other than she said she was just getting it re plastered. The home owner was unaware of any issues until I saw the install. Im going to photograph all documents and you can all make your comments further from there. I will also get further install pictures including inside DB.

I had made my mind up yes that it was 'terrible' because it is. I will be honest and say that I had 'expected' most people to say it was because 'it is' lol. Its just not standards Ive ever come across in my history but admitidly I rarely see house re-wires any more. The advise is of course ammunition because Im not happy with the level of workmanship in retrospect to the cost involved. I wasnt sure on regs and this is where I required most advise tbh. I 'presumed' capping was a reg as Ive never ever seen cables not capped but as I say my experience in that is limited. I was also unsure on new regs on DB's. I thought cables had to be sealed into them as part of the fire side of things, never even knew about IP ratings.
It is unfortunate that you are not entirely hearing what you expected to hear. Nobody has suggested this is anything other than poorly finished. When I carry out rewires I use a chasing machine with dust extraction, and all buried cables are installed in 20mm plastic conduit finished below plaster level, I also carry out plastering myself to at least as high a standard as a professional plasterer, all you'd need to do is decorate. I would agree that leaving supposedly buried cables proud of the surface finish is unacceptable. However I am certain you'd be paying more than 4.5K for my rewiring services. The points that are being made are that you have queried whether you have grounds for complaint with breaches of regulations, whilst you may, IMO those breaches are minor and not likely to result in the NICEIC asking for anything more than remedials to the possible IP issue on the top of the DB. You still have not answered my question on the vertical drops which has the potential to be a more serious breach of regulations. As far as finish goes you will need to review exactly what was quoted for before complaining.

re- cable capping..... on a wall that is to be completely plastered ( not a chase), then capping is required to protect the cables frm the plastere's trowel. years ago it was also required where the would be an interaction between the plaster (could have been lime) and the cables' insulation ( VIR?). these days, cable in chases does not need capping.

It is unfortunate that you are not entirely hearing what you expected to hear. Nobody has suggested this is anything other than poorly finished. When I carry out rewires I use a chasing machine with dust extraction, and all buried cables are installed in 20mm plastic conduit finished below plaster level, I also carry out plastering myself to at least as high a standard as a professional plasterer, all you'd need to do is decorate. I would agree that leaving supposedly buried cables proud of the surface finish is unacceptable. However I am certain you'd be paying more than 4.5K for my rewiring services. The points that are being made are that you have queried whether you have grounds for complaint with breaches of regulations, whilst you may, IMO those breaches are minor and not likely to result in the NICEIC asking for anything more than remedials to the possible IP issue on the top of the DB. You still have not answered my question on the vertical drops which has the potential to be a more serious breach of regulations. As far as finish goes you will need to review exactly what was quoted for before complaining.
Can I ask why you mention the NICEIC mate was the sparky a NICEIC paid up member?

Reply to Advise please on a new re-wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net