Discuss Advise please on a new re-wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I would appreciate some proffessional advise on a recent re-wire my friend has had. Im not 100% up on regs for domestic property and also sure about workmanship practices but I know this is a bad job. I want to go back to the contractor but Im gathering some 'truths' first before I start. This was a 3 bed house in Birmingham area and cost £4500. Ive added some pics to give you an idea but Im mostly concerned about 1. clipped wiring not covered in protection, 2. the wiring is not channeled its level with plaster so how do you cover it?, 3. isnt the wiring into the consumer unit supposed to be enclosed or glanded to keep the fire aspect safe?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1135104 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1135104.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1135310 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1135310.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1135378 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1135378.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 170
  • Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1135539 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1135539.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 167
  • Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1135597 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1135597.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1136442 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1136442.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Advise please on a new re-wire IMG_20200320_1158558 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200320_1158558.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 160
clipped cables are covered by RCD protection ? because the cables have not been glanded
does not make it safe ,but how ever the cables need some fire rated seal on the grommets, because their is no capped on the cables it will not stop a nail going through . I see some cables are clipped togeather should been separated in pic 6 putting stress on the outer sheeth .

Last edited:
I cant see anything which does not meet regulations here, with the possible exception of the cables coming down the wall which may not be entirely within a safe zone, is there a socket at low level and are they in line with it ?.... that's the key. There is no requirement for flush cables to be capped, although it is considered good practice.
There is no requirement for fire seal around the holes in the DB, or for glands, the IP rating appears to have been maintained which is sufficient. Not the neatest job though to put it mildly, minimal compliance and no more.

I cant see anything which does not meet regulations here, with the possible exception of the cables coming down the wall which may not be entirely within a safe zone, is there a socket at low level and are they in line with it ?.... that's the key. There is no requirement for flush cables to be capped, although it is considered good practice.
There is no requirement for fire seal around the holes in the DB, or for glands, the IP rating appears to have been maintained which is sufficient. Not the neatest job though to put it mildly, minimal compliance and no more.
The IP rating is not maintained at the top of the CU where the cables enter ie the entry point on the middle cables ,is greater than IP4X

Last edited:
Looking at it you are probably right, I think that would be classed as a 'minor' though.
It’s definitely Non compliant considering on the schedule of items inspected it should be ticked as being satisfactory

What do you mean by a minor? As per the regulations any non compliances must be rectified before issuing the EIC, there are no grades of non-compliance.
In practice there are probably very few major works, even high quality jobs, which do not have a 'minor' non-compliance somewhere. I've seen several recently carried out under the 18th with quarterly RCD test labels. I saw one last week where the main earth was brought into the steel DB through a separate gland. Another where a long run of SWA was cleated with entirely plastic cleats. EIC's had been issued. I'm not saying it's correct, but I very much doubt if that contractor took his assessor to that job the assessor would make him rectify that IP non compliance. It would be noted as a 'minor' on the assessors report. That was the point I was making.

Last edited by a moderator:
The confusion of it all doesn't help. 1 person says one thing but others aren't so sure to agree. I thought the regs weren't meant to clear up issues not create them? Lol

The confusion of it all doesn't help. 1 person says one thing but others aren't so sure to agree. I thought the regs weren't meant to clear up issues not create them? Lol
If you want to complain you would have a valid reason with the IP rating of the top entries on the DB, this could be easily rectified, but in my view is not a cause for real concern. I would ask as well for those cables to be secured above the DB, or better still enclosed. Other than that I think you will struggle as poor chasing is not a breach of regulations. I ask again though, are those vertical drop cables in line with a point? If not that would be a more seriouus deviation.

Once this job was all plastered in and painted the only obvious defect would be the proper IP rating on the consumer unit isn’t met...
this could easily be rectified with a bit of mdf boxing...

Once this job was all plastered in and painted the only obvious defect would be the proper IP rating on the consumer unit isn’t met...
this could easily be rectified with a bit of mdf boxing...
We cant see from the pictures whether the vertical drops are compliant. Low level accessories are not visible

As far as I can see the only regulation breach is the clear non IP4X cables entry on the top of the consumer unit. The rest of the work is subjective especially as we can't see the full installation but looks like some of the cables could be run outside of the correct zones At best it appears a bit shoddy.

Last edited:

Reply to Advise please on a new re-wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock