Questions and electrical advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations - Discussions on all electrical regulations in the UK. Including Part P, BS 7671, DPC BS7671:2008, BS 7671:2001 & 2004 Amendment No.2, IEE wiring regulations, 16th Edition and 17th Edition and 18th Edition.

Some popular forums: Electrical Forum - Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations - Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification - Electrician Jobs

Search the forum,
E
hi guys. just trying to find out if i am right about something. when installing new circuits in a kitchen (cooker, under floor heating and ring...
Replies
Views
E
Just another question. When i disconnect the old "kitchen ring" to run in a new one for the positions of new kitchen i was told that one of the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, Just new to the forum and I've got a question that hopefully someone will be able to help with. I've been asked to write a...
Replies
Views
stevieboy170
S
J
Hi all Just got back from mums for christmas and was having a nose round her consumer unit after a light popped and tripped the circuit. I...
Replies
Views
J whizz
J
Stripping TE by using the the cpc can stretch the unprotected cpc and lead to thinning of the cross sectional area, which in turn can affect the...
Replies
Views
G
Rewiring a flat and wondered if i have to run a 10mm earth to the bathroom,? plumbing is copper from boiler but changes to plastic before entering...
Replies
Views
leeweimaraner
L
M
Any chance someone could help me out with the 2 questions below as im stuck on these. If possible could someone explain how to get to the answer...
Replies
Views
Jurasic Spark
J
M
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone out there could explain how to calculate the impedance of a circuit containing combinations of the above. For...
Replies
Views
pushrod
P
F
Hi posted before got loads of replies but still puzzzled on what we can do about feeding smoke alarms? have put in some regs quotes from the...
Replies
Views
S
Is replacing a shower considered a like for like replacement? The particular circuit has no RCD. Thanks Si
Replies
Views
sivoodoo
S
A
Hi, first post please be gentle :) I have just tried to replace the light in my bedroom but have a problem with it. I cannot get it to switch...
Replies
Views
S
Mate was asking for some advice. He is looking to put a 100 amp supply into a log cabin he is having built in the middle of nowhere. He has spoke...
Replies
Views
D
Good Afternoon folks, 16A TP&N IP67 Switchsocket Outlets If there are a number of these required then normally they would be allocated their...
Replies
Views
Deano
D
R
these are 90% found in vivariums for reptiles, its also where i'll be using mine. my questions is, can one of these be used safely on a dimmer...
Replies
Views
reeve1987
R
M
hello everybody this is the consumer unit in a flat (about 8 years old) that needs to be replaced with a 17th edition one (CU change only no...
Replies
Views
snipes
S
M
Hi all after assistance sorry might have asked before had numerous people ask me with regards to replacing lights within their houses. Have been...
Replies
Views
A
B
1. first problem- water heater 8kW, separate circuit. Do I need put a switch between Fuse board and water heater? 2. another problem - 14kW...
Replies
Views
Banburyman
B
M
I have a theriotical and practical problem. My lap top is 18V. I amusing 10V 4000mAH battery. how long I can use my lap top if battery is fully...
Replies
Views
pushrod
P
S
Hi All, I have just been to look at my first potential job since getting 17th Ed and Dom Installer qualificaion. I need to install 2 outside...
Replies
Views
A
Basically need to wire a shed 6mm swa into the non rcd side of a CU straight into a MCB. Garage will have its own RCD protected CU. Just...
Replies
Views
terrence
T
S
Hi all I am fitting a oven with a separate electric hob Oven is 3400w so going to use 10m of 3mm twin and earth on a 16a mcb Electric hob is 6500...
Replies
Views
pushrod
P
Can anyone give me a quick answer on whether or not the 16th Edition permitted the non-use of RCDs for additional protection? I've just had a...
Replies
Views
Scenario: A mains head is in one end of a house, split phase. Second phase allowed on the basis of a second semi-separate dwelling to be built...
Replies
Views
B
I have been reading the regs but getting a little stuck. If you have a TT system and are gonna change the CCU, what is the deal regarding RCD's...
Replies
Views
Brian Boyd
B
P
Guys looking at a tt system at mo on the Ze I have 37.0 ohms but when doing Zs on a lighting circuit I have 37.6 ohms is this right right time...
Replies
Views
B
Hey up chaps, I have rewired my bungalow over last couple of days and before the plastering is done i just want to check i havent missed anything...
Replies
Views
B
:rolleyes:howdi straight to the point... 1. Does the shower isolator of a 9kw shower have to be in the same room as the shower? 2.What are the...
Replies
Views
A
P
Guys been to house to install some additional lights to a circuit and found at board there is no cpc on that circuit. However there is a earth...
Replies
Views
Can anyone give me a simple rundown in plain english on this one, how it relates etc etc Many thanks
Replies
Views
P
Hi chaps! I'm in my first year at college, and am currently learning two way and intermediate lighting, could anyone please tell me if there is...
Replies
Views
Phillybob1982
P
M
Hello everyone, I'm currently studying for my CCNP Networking exams, and have built a lab at home which consists of a lot of...
Replies
Views
hi everyone when changing a rose and pendent for a metal light fitting do you have to wire to the connector blocks in the light...
Replies
Views
O
Hi anybody got a copy of Christopher Kitcher Practicle Guide to Inspection and testing and certification Why well I tried to do Test 1 on App C...
Replies
Views
Steve D
S
B
Hi all Just finished building a 30sqm shed from concrete blocks and now need some electrics in there Now im not part p registered, so i will be...
Replies
Views
pennywise
P
M
Hi all. In my daughters bedroom I noticed that after turning out her light it kept flashing (almost exactly every 4 seconds). This goes on for...
Replies
Views
maddog
M
B
anyone dealt with one before. Got a situation with one now. There is a double socket behind cooker fed from 32a mcb. The existing cooker runs from...
Replies
Views
P
Guys, looked into a tt system today and found at main board which is rcd protected a 10mm armoured going to a board which is in the workshop...
Replies
Views
Peter Woodford
P
hi everyone i was asked to have a look at a oven for a mate of my brothers he said it was making a fizzing noise which i replied...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, I am new to all of this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge and experience? I am not a qualified electrician, just a general...
Replies
Views
S
Hello oh Sparky Ones I have a bit of a problem and am not sure if its electrical or more of the paranormal variety........Basically, when ever...
Replies
Views
T
B
hi all have been doing a rewire in a bungerlow and calculated 2.5 ring main on 32A fine as insulation <100mm all cable clipped to sides of...
Replies
Views
pushrod
P
a switch fused spur, sparks when the switch is flicked off only. when it is switched on it dosent any ideas wot it could be? lose cable?
Replies
Views
S
If i changed 4 light fitting like for like, And each light is feed off a fused spur off the ring that ISN'T rcd protected would i need to fit an...
Replies
Views
shagg
S
P
Your thoughts please lads and lasses. I'm assisting a local spark who's is fitting quite a few outside lights to a large kitchen/diner extention...
Replies
Views
roukel01
R
N
Why common yacht AC electrical system use dual circuit braker? I want technical explanation since I allready heard it is safety precaution...
Replies
Views
A
Hi good people i have just installed a shower 10.2kw cable is 10 mm with a 4mm cpc withe a 50 A pullcord switch when carring out my r1+r2 the...
Replies
Views
AA410
A
hi everyone, just wanted to ask a question my brother had a extension built out of his garage knocked wall down between kitchen...
Replies
Views
B
Hi guys, I am designng at route for 5 flats & Landlords mains power supply! The property is 3 storys heigh and two incomers go off on each floor...
Replies
Views
Brendan-Ashford
B
O
Hi there. Stuck on a problem wiring up a boiler. customer wants a thermostat fitting and they have already bought one, it's a Salus RT200. It's...
Replies
Views
Ollie
O
I have come across a house today that has an oil tank to feed the boiler, the boiler is outside and is the only thing to be fed by oil, should...
Replies
Views
Post a New Thread / Question

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock