Questions and electrical advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations - Discussions on all electrical regulations in the UK. Including Part P, BS 7671, DPC BS7671:2008, BS 7671:2001 & 2004 Amendment No.2, IEE wiring regulations, 16th Edition and 17th Edition and 18th Edition.

Some popular forums: Electrical Forum - Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations - Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification - Electrician Jobs

J
:D Has anyone seen the experiment on Mythbusters where they investigate, whether or not a person would die, if a person was having a bath and...
Replies
Views
pushrod
P
Recently had to install additional fuse board for extension. Spilt tails at source, henley blocks and installed 100A switched fuse to supply new...
Replies
Views
Afternoon guys I am just signing off a job we have completed where we have installed a cable tray across a warehouse. The cheeky plumber has gone...
Replies
Views
C
i've done a 2 way switched lighting circuit via junction box in college but for my final exam i need to do a 2 way switched lighting circuit...
Replies
Views
Callum.
C
L
I have been wondering how would you wire outside lights which were pir operated and also have switches to turn them on. any advice would be very...
Replies
Views
lee1002
L
P
Been asked to quote to put sockets and a light in a conservatory. The house has the old wylex rewireable fuse cu, Can I take a feed from that cu...
Replies
Views
P
Afternoon Chaps I went to look at a job today where the owner wants a PIR Flood Light installed at the rear door. The property in question is a...
Replies
Views
Guest123
G
E
Allo, Problem ere. I just installed a new light fitting and 4 spots. The thing is i just found out the old light was on a two way switch...
Replies
Views
eco-tech
E
W
Hi guys, I recently had a 3 phase pump breakdown on me on-site (110 V) and want to replace it with a pump that has a standard household plug (220...
Replies
Views
colin maclean
C
W
Got called to a job yesterday to check 8 double sockets in a bedroom that had been installed by a bloke he knows a couple of months ago. As the...
Replies
Views
J
I
Hi Guys, I have got a job to replace halogen down lights with 2 fluorescents.The work is in the basement of an estate agents shop...
Replies
Views
A
M
just been to an install today as they have a dusk till dawn sensor controlling the outside lights 28 twin earths connected to sensor they want the...
Replies
Views
Just filling in some more test sheets, and still not clear on 'electrical seperation' ?? All I know is that an example of this is a shaver point...
Replies
Views
A
I hace been asked to move a CU from next to a 3phase board in a boiler room to an office about 12 m away in the same building. It is a one story...
Replies
Views
Spudnik
S
A
hey guys im not an electrician, just lloking for some advice. hiring a unit in a big barn. which has 3 rooms side b side, with 1 light in one...
Replies
Views
anderson silva
A
T
Hi, I've just recently changed a C/U that had a supply to a garage via 2 core 2.5mm SWA. The cable on the old set up was coming from a main...
Replies
Views
tommytippy
T
T
Hi All, Just been looking over the work I need to do for the rewire, prior to my ELECSA inspection. 1) The customer wants to move the meter...
Replies
Views
telepath
T
E
How much current will a 1.5 ring take (50mtrs long) Can it take more current as its a ring ?
Replies
Views
GStueyXR
G
T
Hello. I've been a member for some time now but in a voyeur kind of fashion and read alot of useful topics, anyway heres my first post. I'm...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me out please, I'm after the BS number for this Crabtree Starbreaker main switch (nothing to do with my previous post) Bit of a...
Replies
Views
C
I was told today that a kitchen heat detector had to be within one meter of the cooker. True or not?
Replies
Views
Crosswire
C
A
Hi, I've read a fair few posts that have suggested to newbies that building their own test rig is a good way to learn and start running through...
Replies
Views
pennywise
P
Wht's the max permitted Zs when usins a 5amp 1362 fuse, I can only find ref for 3a & 13a in tables
Replies
Views
V
Hi I've just had a look at a flat I'm thinking about buying. I noticed the the fusebox is the old fashioned black type, but the light...
Replies
Views
R
C
Acoording to the Building Regs Guide , cooker switches should be installed between 200mm and 2 metres from the appliance, should be READILY...
Replies
Views
nickblake
N
Hi I recently quoted for the fitting of 2 outside lights and have carried out first fix all cables run to position etc. On going back to fit...
Replies
Views
Hello. A quicky that hopefully someone can clear up for me. Consumer unit in house to supply cabin at bottom of garden. I have designed the...
Replies
Views
davelerave
D
D
can spare poles on switches and contactors be wired in series to reduce arcing when making/breaking inductive loads thanks
Replies
Views
davelerave
D
Hi all, This is probably my first post despite lurking for a long, long time. I have my Elecsa assessment on Monday and sorting out the the...
Replies
Views
K
Hi all, A question concerning fusing of meter leads when over 3 meters long, the nice man from the niceic says there must be 2 pole isolation ...
Replies
Views
KEVINDOE
K
W
Hi just getting last job ready to be inspected by the niceic. Got a question regarding upstairs lighting. I have wired all the lights in 3...
Replies
Views
pennywise
P
Good afternoon Is using twisted and soldered connections and shrink-fit OK for paralleling conductors within a wall box? I personally find...
Replies
Views
Are 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm2 T&E cable extensions, made by longitudinal twisting, generous soldering, shrink-fitting of each conductor, taping to match...
Replies
Views
A
M
Hi guys, does Part M apply to refurbs? I know it does not apply to rewires and that it does apply to new builds....but that's not much use to me...
Replies
Views
mattcos1972
M
been to price a job its a bathroom rewire ,new downlights ,mirror light ,timed fan, its tns system cu is old square d with rcbo on ring only. i...
Replies
Views
B
HI, I am an industrial maintenance electrician. A friend who does not live in my area has asked me a question can anyone please advise. He has had...
Replies
Views
Spudnik
S
just a theory according to: http://www.willetttechnicalservices.co.uk/bathroomzones.pdf a socket must be fitted 3meters horizontally from zone 1...
Replies
Views
R
Been out to see a woman about her shower that 'blew a fuse'. Consumer unit is pre-rewirable, 1940s-50s cartridge fuses and in bloody bad shape...
Replies
Views
Spudnik
S
T
All, Preparing a rewire for my Elecsa inspection, I am rewiring a bungalow, to rewire the lights there is a void between the ceiling and the...
Replies
Views
Just wondering, could someone please advise me to what the regulation is regarding the requirments of fly leads.... when installing metal knock...
Replies
Views
spenny
S
P
Been to look at a job today for a builder who is putting up a conservatory for somebody, The property owner wants a light and a couple of sockets...
Replies
Views
P
T
hi folks, just been to a job the day to change over 300 down lgts from low voltage to mains voltage l.e.d's. problem is there currently fed...
Replies
Views
nickblake
N
J
Are kitchens considered to be a special location? I have been led to believe by tutors that they are because it is considered a location where...
Replies
Views
drywax
D
J
Im stopping at my friends house, dogsitting and whilst having a snoop, l have noticed that there is a 30mA RCCB protecting the cooker circuit...
Replies
Views
C
OK - discovered yesterday (when British Gas came to install my new boiler) that the earth is very poor, up near 100ohms. So I then start...
Replies
Views
S
Chaps, Need to do a quick calc, but havent got my regs to hand. I have a 3kW 230V supply to run 400M underground to an outbuilding. Thinking 2...
Replies
Views
Spudnik
S
Hello, I've got to get power to a Flygt Micro 5G pumpng station. (1.1kw) so I'm going to run 1.5mm SWA out to it on a dedicated circuit. Do I...
Replies
Views
main bonding to gas and water can they be conected to the earthclamp with a crimp or do they have to be conected directly to the clamp is there a...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for everyones comments/advice Been asked to instal a shower circuit for a friend. the house was rewired 1990 had a look at boinding...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9648
D
Hi chaps Here's a nice little website for quick reference. BS 7671 : 17th Edition Cheers Mark
Replies
Views
MUFC1999
M
Post a New Thread / Question

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back