Currently reading:
Off grid solar and grid and bonding

Discuss Off grid solar and grid and bonding in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am living in the north of Thailand where the grid is very unreliable (rainy season outages multiple times per week or once a full week). I started with solar and grid 8 years ago. At that time it was integrated but with lead batteries at some point the batteries were bad and the grid tried to continuously charge them resulting in a high bill.

Then we expanded the house and changed the solar to LifePo4. At this time grid was separately from solar.

This year, we expanded the solar as we wanted more power during the forrest fire season as we need to run aircon and air filters to counter the bad air quality. But because of this, I found out that the setup was not good. So thinking of changing it.

I will explain the idea as shown below:

We basically have 4 circuits thus 4 breaker boxes:
  • Barn which is a little away from the house has it's own breaker box (Barn breaker).
  • The original house has it's own breaker box (House 1 breaker)
  • the house extension has it's own breaker box (house 2 breaker)
  • and the final circuit is in house 1 and 2. to this we have extra sockets, 2 aircons, and water heaters for the showers, Thus if something goes wrong with box 1 or 2, we still have power on the extra sockets.

In general, we have 4 sources:
  • Grid which in general we don't want to use and is very unreliable
  • Orignal inverter which we want in general to use for house 1 and house 2 breaker
  • new interter which we want to use for aircon breaker
  • Vehicle to Load which is for absolute emergency which we would use on house 1 and 2 but we would disconnect all equipment except for the absolute necessary things.

In the setup we have 1 ground and bonding to 3 sources (not the EV). But because of the manual and automatic transfer switch I believe only 1 bonding per active circuit.

1716767989219.png

Is this a correct setup? any other suggestions?

As an alternative I was thinking of changing the ATS to a changeover switch without buildin breakers and have the breaker external. In this way I could also switch the ground:
1716768667853.png

Reply to Off grid solar and grid and bonding in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock